+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sling packs, love 'em or hate 'em?

Hybrid View

Default sling packs, love 'em or hate 'em?

I've got a huge gift card to blow at my local fly shop. I'm thinking about a sling pack but having used a vest or some other type of vestish pack for years I'm not sure if I'm going to like a sling. throw out your opinions if you use one. good points, bad points, model you like.
    Thanks
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

I used a vest for years and got a sling after fishing with a fellow who used one. He liked it and it looked like it would work. I bought a sling bag (not Fly Fishing specific) and tried it 5 times. Twice on the Creek and three times on still water. I am back to my vest. It always seemed to move around at the most inconvenient time. Even when it did not bump into my casting arm, just the sudden movement was enough to take my attention away from my casting. I even tried on both shoulders with no real difference. I also tried a "fanny pack" that didn't last as long as the sling.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

I've always used a vest when trout fishing. I bought an Orvis sling pack when they first came out and after a few trips with it just didn't like it. With my vest I am more organized and know where everything is. Surprisingly I don't carry a boat load of stuff and my vest is very light. For warm water I use either a Recycled Waders Big Fanny or a Woodstream bag.

I think older guys, like me, who started our using a vest tend to stick with them. Mine is a Fishpond Sage and is very comfortable. Younger guys seem to prefer sling, fanny or chest packs.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I have gone back and forth over the years. And don't really care for the slink pack. But I do prefer my Fishpond Bluewater lumbar pack, worn over the shoulder on on my left side in similar fashion to a sling pack. The Water Dance is nice too. Vests are comfortable...but I get too hot in them through the summer.

Generally I prefer a vest, except during the summer when it's too hot to wear a vest. (The mesh vests don't seem to have enough pockets.) . Also, sometimes I wear my vest and my sling, especially because my sling is waterproof. Finally, I like that my sling has a waist band, so that the sling stays in place and helps distribute the weight of what's inside it.
    Randy
    Last edited by randyflycaster; 02-11-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: more info

I enjoyed using a lumbar pack for several years. It was nice because I could twist it around to my backside when I didn't need to access it, and to the front when I needed something. I tried a number of different ones, and the adjustable straps all seemed to eventually loosen and sag. Not a huge deal, but eventually I wanted to carry more/larger fly boxes for certain types of fishing I was doing. Plus, I would sometimes find myself wading in water over my waist, and would need to carry the lumbar pack in my hand until reaching shallower water.

So, I tried a sling pack. I love it! I can fit a LOT of stuff in it, it is comfortable, is easy to access and move back out of the way, and it sits up higher on my body so I don't have to worry about it getting wet when in deeper water. The pack I use in an Orvis model that has a 2nd strap that keeps the pack from shifting position when walking around.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I used to use a vest but now all I use is a sling pack. I think, it's much less bulk to have to deal with. My first pack was a fishpond lodgepole satchel, it's very nice. But I've switched and now I'm using a "non-fishing" pack, it's an Eno Possum Pack. It's small but fits all the things I need to have for a normal day on the water. I just like the fact that the pack is there when I need something, but otherwise I almost forget I've got it on me. My personal opinion, I say go with a pack.
    The measurements of fly fishing: 1 part man, 1 part fish, and all God.

I have also been looking for a sling. I switched from a vest to to lumbar pack for the last two years. With the lumbar pack my back is not tired at the end of the day and I like its functionality . I use it for trout and warm water fishing. When trout fishing the pack occasionally gets wet when i wade too deep which is why i am considering a sling pack.

+ Reply to Thread