+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated by my lack of success in winter

Hybrid View

Question Frustrated by my lack of success in winter

First, I'd like to say that I'm quite fortunate to live where I do. Generally, open water can be found all winter long and there is no closed season. Furthermore, I have access to wild trout streams, public park ponds, warmwater streams, mid-size rivers, and large reservoirs all within an hour's drive. I frequently go fishing on my lunch break and on most weekend mornings that are above freezing. But I'm still frustrated by my lack of success in winter. Actually, what got me back into fishing in 2010, and ultimately led me to fly fishing in 2011, was a burning desire to figure out how to catch fish in colder water. But so far, my lifetime winter fishing success consists of one brook trout last February in a wild trout stream. This was on a day where it was partly cloudy at home, but a light snow/ice mix in the mountains 45 minutes drive uphill.

A little further south and the water might only rarely dip below 50F; a little further north and I might be ice fishing. My near-fish experiences include once seeing a 4" sunfish in a small stream nearly dead in midwinter. On several occasions I've seen creek chubs or similar fish dart from one rock to another during winter, never to be seen again. Yesterday I saw a 6" shad in a small stream swimming with it's dorsal fin out of the water and thought, "what strange behavior". I frequently see schools of minnows in winter streams, although those schools seem to become smaller and more scarce later in the season; perhaps an indication there are still fish around eating them. Despite years of searching, I've not been able to find the pools with hundreds of smallmouth and sunfish huddling together until spring returns. I've read about them, I've seen pictures of bass that people like Jeff Little, Tim Holschlag, Darl Black, and In-Fisherman have caught in the winter, and I believe the stories, but I've so far been unsuccessful.

I guess there was the one December creek pool I found with dozens of rainbow trout, and I did catch one, but that was in California, so it doesn't really count, at least I don't think.

This past weekend was a really great one weather wise. Saturday the temperatures climbed to near 60F, followed by nearly 70F on Sunday. The trend continued yesterday with a high of 65F. I took advantage on Sunday afternoon by going down to the small stream near my house to try Tim Holschlag's float-n-fly technique for anything that would bite. My original intent was to cover as much water as possible, but I learned late that I would be taking my 4 oldest children, the youngest of which is only 4, so I was limited to only a couple hundred yards of water for safety's sake. I pounded 4 or 5 holes fairly well but only saw one lonely minnow. Yesterday I went to a city park stream at lunch and that's where I saw the strange shad, but my time was limited and I got no bites in the one stretch of stream I tried. Water temps were 44F on Sunday, and 45F on Monday, up from near freezing a week ago.

So who has had success fishing in the winter, especially on warmwater species? Who has advice for me, and others, that are tormented with cabin fever by this time of year, and can't wait for pre-spawn?

Here are some things I think I might need for success:
    -Wintering holes with actual fish in them; the same tired stretches I've tried over the years aren't it. I need to cover more water, methodically, but quickly, eliminating empty water until I find a place with actual fish in it.
    -More time at the wild trout streams; it's a bit of a drive, but the trout are more active in cold water than bass and sunfish.
    -Possible trip to a stocked trout stream; they're even further away, but offer the promise of larger trout, and without guilt over keeping them for dinner.

Here is what I don't think I need to change:
    -My fly or technique; the float-n-fly is time tested and works for others.
    -A place with a spring seepage; there aren't any springs to speak of on this side of the Blue Ridge, the limestone in Virginia is west of the Blue Ridge.
    -Pond and reservoir fishing; the deep water of my local ponds is not suited for winter fly fishing, and winter holes on a large reservoir can be almost impossible to reach on a fly rod, even from a boat. Plus I'd still need to find them, just like I'm trying to do on the streams.
    -A warm-up like this past weekend can't hurt, but balmy weather shouldn't be the only time that there is a bite to be had.
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

Winter fishing for trout, use the smallest fly you can tie. Size 22 is the smallest I can tie and wouldn't go any bigger than 20.
    Red Zebra midge works well all year long. Go small for warm water fishing also,
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by krauseb View Post
    Winter fishing for trout, use the smallest fly you can tie. Size 22 is the smallest I can tie and wouldn't go any bigger than 20.
    Red Zebra midge works well all year long. Go small for warm water fishing also,
    Bob.
    That's certainly one route that works.

Another is to fish streamers/buggers low and slow. Don't retrieve them, just dead drift.

A warm-up like last weekend can hurt, and will, if there's snow on the ground. The air may be warmer, but the water will be colder.

Obviously, the fish will be in different places then they would be in warmer weather. That usually means deeper and slower, but on sunny days it can also mean shallower and slower. The water is just a bit warmer there. I don't know if it activates the fish more or the bugs, but I've taken a surprising number of trout in less than a foot of water on warmer winter days. And you know that the fish that are in that type of water are only there for one reason, and that's to eat.

Any insects that are out -- usually either winter stones or midges -- are going to be dark in color. Choose you flies accordingly.
    Bob

Blog Entries

Waskeyc,

For me, winter fishing is trout fishing in the rivers. 99% of all my winter fishing is nymphing under an indicator, with the nymphs right down on the bottom, which is where the fish are. Also, over here, the fish are rather picky about where they hang out, only certain seams around structure where they can be in soft water with the faster water right next to them so they can dart out and get a quick bite.

But, at least you are getting out and trying, the vast majority of fly fishers seem to hang up their rods during the winter, which is sometimes the best fishing.

Larry ---sagefisher---

My best winter fishing has been done with zebra midges under an indicator. Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Stick with trout. I like wooly buggers, golden retrievers and beadheads fished deep and slow under an indicator.

NJ troutbum has good advice for VA. waters but use small buggers. if you're fishing SNP use nymphs and very small streamers. I'd throw small dark colored drys on shallow pockets in the sun.
    my goal was to fish the park more this winter but the flu got in the way.
    Good luck.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

I am not sure what a "float n fly" technique is. In the winter most fly hatches slow down or stop with the big exception of midges. while i have had a few amazing days on top with midge dries i still catch the majority of fish during "midge" days under an indicator on midge pupa. In fact during winter nymphing under an indicator or fishing streamers is the norm.
    I suggest you join a local fly fishing club or find a fishing buddy to help you find some public water that has fish and maybe learn a new technique or two.

Thanks everyone for your responses. It would seem that there IS NOT a large crowd of people who successfully fish for smallmouth during the winter. Trout are a more common target, although they are probably a more common target in general, given that this is a fly fishing board.

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    A warm-up like last weekend can hurt, and will, if there's snow on the ground. The air may be warmer, but the water will be colder.
    Good point. In this case, the warm-up caused a >10F water temp increase. We have not had measurable snow in this part of Virginia this winter yet. There is still time though...

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    But, at least you are getting out and trying, the vast majority of fly fishers seem to hang up their rods during the winter, which is sometimes the best fishing.
    Yes, it would seem that few people even give it a try in the winter. Perhaps it is a way of testing the level of affliction.

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    I am not sure what a "float n fly" technique is.
    The float-n-fly is a technique used by reservoir spin fishermen to catch winter smallmouth. They suspend a streamer, such as a Clouser minnow or a shad dart as much as 25 feet under a bobber and let the surface waves impart action to the fly. The Tim Holschlag variation is to float a similar streamer under an indicator in rivers a foot or so above the bottom. It's nearly a dead drift retrieve, with infrequent twitching.

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    I suggest you join a local fly fishing club or find a fishing buddy to help you find some public water that has fish and maybe learn a new technique or two.
    A good idea. However, note the reference in my original post to my "4 older kids". Given that the two babies were taking an afternoon nap at the house, I have 6 good reasons why joining a club that takes me out of the house is not in my near future. However, I do stop by my local fly shop from time to time and buy some tying material and ask for fishing advice and I do occasionally have friends over to fish the stream in my backyard.
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

For trout, I've had some of my best days in the winter and seem to have better luck with big flies in the winter. A #10 is the most common size fly for me this time of year, but #8,6,4 size flies are also a staple in my box right now. Dead drifting, and swinging them works very well. But I'd suggest using Buggers and BH nymphs. All of this info might be useful just in my area, but if you fish any mid size rivers, this might help.
    The measurements of fly fishing: 1 part man, 1 part fish, and all God.

+ Reply to Thread