+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hooks for Clousers? Circle Hooks?

Default Hooks for Clousers? Circle Hooks?

I have been having a little bit of a problem finding straight eye hooks for tying Clousers locally. I could just use Streamer hooks, but most of the recipes I have found call for a straight eye such as the Mustad 3406/3407 or 3366 (which I can't even find for sale mail-order), etc. Is there any down-side for just using bent-eye streamer hooks? Also, I found some stainless circle hooks that look a lot like the 3407. Has anyone tried circle hooks for Clousers?

Rochester,

Jann's Netcraft sells the 3366 Mustad hook, as well as the 3407. They aren't in the fly fishing section, but with the regular hooks.

Circles will work fine for Clousers. You just have to remember not to set the hook...can be hard.

By the way, regular TDE streamer hooks will work fine for your Clousers. Since the fly rides hook point up, you get a TUE with the lure, and that can be a help if you are fishing it slowly or on the fall. I can't see any bad effects on more agressive retrieves.

WalMart sells the Eagle Claw 'plain shank' hooks. These have an offset that can be easily straightened, and they will work fine for Clousers as well.

The Clouser is more of a 'style' or 'method', rather than set 'pattern'. You can tie on a wide variety of hooks, and the best place to start is with what you HAVE.

Good Luck!

Buddy

p.s; ALWAYS use a loop knot when fishing a Clouser....

------------------
    Tie flies beyond the resistance of mortal trout!
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

i find the 3407 at my local sporting goods store. you can also get them in cabelas. they should be pretty easy to find, just look in the regular fishing, as opposed to fly tying.

If you use Mustad Sig series Circle Hooks (C71S SS) then you can set the hook. The front angle is different than with bait-style circles.

Going with the premise that fish key in on the eyes of baitfish, I tried tying Clousers on Tiemco's TMC 105.

I tie the eyes (either dumbell or beadchain) right at the hook bend. I do not tie in the 'belly' of the fly (Lefty Kreh's version). I tie the wing layers in the traditional fashion with K-Flash between each color and over the top.

This style of Clouser has performed well for me when targeting warmwater species and I think my hook-up percentage has increased somewhat.

- Gary

------------------

"Catch 'em all...Put some back!"

[This message has been edited by Gary Miller (edited 03 February 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Gary Miller (edited 03 February 2005).]

I've tied them in a similar way using Mustad 9174 hooks.

Can't say I caught more, but the strikes seemed harder.

I might try the 105 because I think the shank is a little longer.

------------------
    G. W. "Buggs" Buggsworth

There are several option for tying Clousers. My personal favorites are the C71S SS (Circle Streamer), C51S BLN, S71S SS and the C70S D. Now, I can tell you that Bob Clouser and Lefty like the C71S SS and the C70S D. As Loren mentions above, you CAN set the hook with the Circle Streamer. This is because this was the first circle hybrid designed specifically for fly-fishing. I prefer to strip-strike when a fish hits and then raise the rod. Works great. If you prefer to stay away from stainless hooks, the C70S D is a good option. All of these hooks are in the Signature series so they have premium points.

If you are looking for a less expensive option, the 3407 is a perfectly good choice.
    [url=http://www.mustad.no/products/premium/signature/sign_catl.htm:b2b4f]http://www.mustad.no/products/premium/signature/sign_catl.htm[/url:b2b4f]

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

Thanks for the replies! I bought a few different styles of hooks, including the C71S SS (Circle Streamer) hooks, and will be doing a little experimenting!

The Mustad 3366 is really the best for fresh water Clouser. Cheap too! Agree with the advise to always tie a loop knot.

+ Reply to Thread