+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bifocals?

The dollar stores have reading glasses and they seem like the same ones as elsewhere...I sprinkle them around the house eye docs have told me they are OK.

For tying....a headloop magnifier....give that Harbor Freight one a try. ...I found some thing similar at a street fair and really like the feature of being able to flip down to a higher magnification for doing certain maneuvers.

For the computer ....weaker lens since you are sitting farther away

When I'm fishing I use much stronger ones which puts the focal length much closer but it sure helps with those small eyes on the hooks...

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 03 February 2005).]

I turned 45 this year and found I was having trouble focusing at the vise. I am nearsited and wear contacts. I found I could tie with no glasses or contacts, but I prefer the contacts for general use. So I picked myself up a pair of 'old man glasses'. The kind with lenses you can look over the top of. +1.50 works so far. I don't need anything for reading or computers yet.

Jay

I've been wearing glasses for quite awhile. Started innocently enough with "reading" glasses. Now I've progressed to the transition/progressive type lense. Much better than the standard bifocal for every day use.
    As far as fly tying, as already mentioned you can't go wrong with non-prescription reading glasses. I just picked up 3 pairs for for $15 or maybe it was $18 at BJ's. These are the same glasses I'll use for tying flies on when fishing. I not going to take the chance of dropping a $200+ pair of prescription glasses in the creek. When I get down to tying size 20 and below, I just flip down the magnifiers I have attached to my tying hat to assist the glasses.

Flytackle: I've worn bifocals for 15 years and they work fine for me at the tying bench. I tried progressive lenses but didn't like them because they cut down your peripheral vision. It is important that you get the lower (reading vision) section of the lense placed at the proper height on your lense. If they are placed too low you will end up bending your neck. When the optometrist fits you for your new glasses make sure that he understands what you need and you shouldn't have a problem. Having good bifocals will be helpful for many more things besides fly tying.

I'm nearsighted, have astigmatism, and wear progressives. Still not suitable for flytying. I pull off my glasses to read and tie. Magnifying lenses are not the answer either, although they are some help. I'm at my wit's end.

RG/AR....

I wonder if it's the astigmatism????

How much are you at wits end???...Lasic surgery should take care of the nearsightedness and astigmatism but of course then you would need glasses to read, etc.....depending on your age...

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 04 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread