+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What weight?

Default What weight?

What weight outfit would you recommend for a good combo for bluegill and crappie?

A short 3wt (7 1/2') would be perfect.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I use a 6'6" 2 wt.

Are you going to fish from a boat? Are you going to fish mainly on ponds, big lakes, streams? You might want a beefier rod (and heavier fly line) for big water or other exposed (windy) sites. Are you going to be using micro-jigs? Are you going use bigger jigs, like 1/80 and 1/64 oz.? The bigger, bushier, heavier flies need a heavier line to cast them. Are you an ace caster? Average? Not quite average? The heavier the line, the easier it is to cast big and bulky flies.

Regards,
    Ed

I use fly lines from two to six weight for panfish. On windless days where I don't expect to make long casts the two weight is fun. On windy days when I'm wading the shoreline and casting out beyond the weedline the six weight works much better. Also if I think I may want to switch off and cast some bass flies the six weight is first choice. Most of the time I use a four weight. I think in general that if I had to choose just one rod for panfish in this area It would be a nine foot five weigh. If you don't expect to need to cast for long distances think about the five weight glass rod from Eagle Claw. It's inexpensive, durable, casts reasonably well and will handle all panfish flies.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Thanks for the replies. I guess my five weight will be ok. Think I'll try to get a 3/4 weight when I can though.

Just to confirm your choice, I use two different 5 wts, one set up for dries (or foams actually) and the other for nymphs. I use these when ever there is a likelihood of getting into a larger fish such as a bass. I have a 3 wt. that I have been using more and more when it is not likely I will run into a bass or catfish, such as in the stocked trout stream in Trigg County. All that being said, I did tie into a 3 lb cat in a local pond on the 3 wt and it was a hoot getting it to the bank.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

I always recommend the Cabela's Three Forks Fly Rod, 7"6", 3 WT, 3 piece.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...ods/734547.uts

Vinny

My fly rod quiver has rods from 4wt through to 9wt. I'd like to think I've got all bases covered for what I do. My main stay rod for most of what I go after is a 5wt. For wading in tight places I use an 8' - fishing out of the canoe (sitting down) a 9' works best. Most generally when fishing for bream (bluegill) it's out of the canoe and that makes the main rod the niner. When using wet flies or a popper it's a WF-5-F line, but for dries my favorite line is the double taper.

Works good for me.

A 9 weight for Blue Gill?
    I fish the TFO Proffessional 8 foot 2 weight for panfish of all types from my kayak.
    I agree too with the Cabelas 3 weight three forks. Good rods.

+ Reply to Thread