+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Practicing

Hybrid View

Default Practicing

]I'm going to be building a couple of new rods over the next few weeks. So, while waiting for the blanks to get here I thought I'd try something new. I don't see these types of wraps on fly rods too often and was wondering why? Is it a weight issue? Anyway here are my first couple of attempts:
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    -Kidder

I've wondered that too, don't know, but your work is certainly beautiful

Default Tradition

I think fly fishing is more tradition oriented. Most fly rods are more conservative in design with less bling than conventional tackle. Also, fly fishing is more finesse oriented and tends to be closer to the fish. In this case, the extra bling can spook fish. Other than that, I can't think of any reason.

On a personal note, I don't put a lot of bling in my rods. I think a lot of builders add it because they think it makes the rod "look" custom. A clothier once told be to never buy clothes that had metallic thread in the label. The thought being that if the maker was trying to hook you with a fancy label, it must be because the item itself was deficient. I don't really know how that applies, but it always stuck in my mind when I was designing a build.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Thanks herefishy!

That's an interesting way to think of it dunfly, I never would have thought crosswraps could lead to spooking more fish, but I definitely understand the tradition side of it.
    -Kidder

I must agree with dunfly regarding 'Tradition', but I somehow feel that the 'Tradition' thing makes some newcomers to our sport wary of attempting to take part in it.
    As a professional builder, I have found that many seasoned fly fisherman would rather spend their hard earned $ on the best quality rod components put into that rod of choice while keeping with the 'Tradition' so to speak, while younger folks want both quality with 'bling'. Perhaps they are just wanting to impress their friends. Whatever the case, adding nice thread work will certainly show off your talent for rod building, but also add weight as well. How it affects your fishing and catch rates is something time will tell you and lessons you will learn along with it.
    You show nice thread work and if you wish to add it to your rod then do so. After all, isn't enjoyment of our sport what it's all about?
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Plus, it takes practice to learn to do what you did with that thread.

+ Reply to Thread