Couldn't agree more lastchance! We all know that old saying 'practice makes perfect'............how true it is.
Just a note for tkidder..........IMO, while doing cross wrap thread work, I have always found it is important to try to keep the same tension on your threads thru out the design. Sometimes difficult to do! When it comes time to finish the job with CP and epoxy, the threads will become wet and may tend to move out of place w/o you noticing it. Just keep good lighting available so you can see if things move. If they move just have your burnishing tool, brush or whatever tool you like to use to make the needed adjustments to the threads.
There is nothing more frustrating than to spend all that time creating a beautiful pattern only to find out afterwards that things have moved out of place. Here again......practice helps tenfold and we all learn by our mistakes, but being able to make a 'save' will certainly help build up your confidence in rod building. I'm sure we've all been there....ha!
One tip that I wish to add in case some may not be aware of.................wash you hands prior to ever working with thread! Always my #1 thing to do prior to even touching thread, for your natural skin oils will adhere to thread and show up as dark blotch spots once the epoxy has cured.