get my Vise and gear back from my 11 year old daughter??? I say this jokingly of course, well at least a little bit.

About 2 months or so ago, my daughter and I attended a fly tying meeting at a local fly fishing club. The topic of the evening was actually on fly tying a specific fly ... a Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymph. This was our first time attending a meeting of the club and I had not brought along any equipment. the next thing I know, the club was scrounginig through EVERYONE'S equipment to find the equipment for her to be able to tye a fly!!!

This truelly was a wonderful thing for us to see these grown men diggin in everyone else's boxes and complaining at everyone else for not bringing enough gear for everybody!!! My daughter even got the humor in it.

Next thing we know, a vise, bobbin, bobbin threader, and whip finisher had been found. Everything was setup for her as she eagerly took everything in. She watched the class teacher of the week tye one, then it was her turn. The help she got went far above anything I had expected!! Everyone was so wonderful. Her first completed fly ... don't tell her this ... is in a special box never to be used!!!

The thing that amazed me is how easily she understood everything and how fast she got profecient at it!!! She tyed 3 more inside of 15 minutes!!!

After she had tied her 4th fly she turned and asked me if I wanted to tye one. I told her to tye a few more and that she could show me how to tie it later on when we got home. This brought a few grins and nods of approval from the rest of the club, and put a VERY LARGE smile on one 11 year old!!!

Now, she LOVES to tye flies!!! So far, she has learned to tye about 9 different types of flies, from dry to nymphs to clousers (and most look really good!) To give an idea, she already has 2 fly boxes full of flies that she has tied!!! To date though, her favorite fly to tye is still the Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymph.

So again, HOW DO I GET MY VISE AND BOBBIN BACK??????

I cannot wait for spring so I can start showing her how to fly fish so she can use the flies she ties!!!!

Sincerely,

Reg

[This message has been edited by RCaillouet3 (edited 02 February 2005).]