+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage One 3 wt reel suggestion

Default Sage One 3 wt reel suggestion

I am in the middle of building my new Sage One 3wt rod. I am looking for some suggestions for a reel to pair with it. Any suggestions? I plan on using 4wt SharkSkin line, as the blank is very stiff for a 3wt.

I like the Orvis Battenkill I for my 3 wt 7'. I have a 3 wt DT wrapped around it. I don't know how a 4 wt line would work on that reel. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Ditto on the Battenkill reel. I have the smallest, simplest click and pawl reel (1-3WT made in England) on my 3wt St Croix imperial rod. It is my fav set-up for the small brookie streams and bluegill ponds I fish. I do have a spare spool with a 4 wt line (Wonderline) on it and it works well for windy days.
    LOVE THAT REEL.

Blog Entries

I have been a confirmed Orvis reel user for years, mainly their large arbor reels and a few mid arbor reels plus their original Battenkill with the disc drag.

But, last time I was down at Cabela's and wanted to buy a reel I 'discvered' the Cabela's WLZ reels. WLZ not the WLX. The WLZ is made by Lamson. It is a great looking large arbor reel and if you are fishing with a3 weight and tag into a big fish, you may need that Conical drag system. For you the model 1.5 would be great. I bought the 3.5, which is made for an 8 wt rod.

By the way, they are on sale right now.

Here is their notice about it.

Cabela's WLz Fly Reel, designed by Waterworks-Lamson, features the unique Conical Drag System that uses two precisely matched cones drawn together by spring tension to provide exceptional braking power. Conical Drag System is 100% sealed to keep out sand, grit and water. Polymer-alloy and teflon-metal cones don't require lubrication and never wear, so they require zero maintenance to continuously work at peak performance. Fully machined-aluminum reels are anodized to resist corrosion. Large-arbor design aids in fast line retrieval. Oversized drag knob for fine tuning of drag, even with cold fingers. Made in USA

Larry ---sagefisher---

I have a 9ft. Sage One 3 weight and I ended up using a Orvis Hydros LA III with Rio Perception WFF line and it is by far my favorite rod set up ever. That reel balances out the rod nicely and matched with that line, you won't be disappointed. If you can, try out someone else's reel if you can before you buy. My next choice reels is Teton Tiogas .........if you can find one.

I don't have a One but do have a 3 wt Zenith, which is quite similar in weight to the One, and I use an Allen ATS Model 1 reel. It is fairly light and balances quite nicely with that rod.

I'm a big Orvis reel fan also, but for 3wts I build, I usually recommend a couple of reels from Anglers Roost (anglersroost.com), the Princess lightweight 3/4 and the 201M. Both are nice reels and the price can't be beat. I hate hanging a high dollar reel on a 3wt.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Thanks for the help everyone. Ive got some suggestions to research while waiting on a flight.

+ Reply to Thread