+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott A4 vs Sage Response

Default Scott A4 vs Sage Response

I'm trying to decide on a new 4 piece 9' 4wt and am having trouble deciding between the Scott A4 and the Sage Response. I realize that they're slightly different actions, the Sage being a bit faster but besides that I'm having a tough time. Can anyone sway me eaither way? I havent bought a new rod in 20 years...so the manufacturers may not be what I remember. If anyone has either rod...which reel did you choose that nicely balances the set up? I'm looking at the Lamson Guru (made in America being a big part of that decision). Thanks for the help, Mike

I'm sure you've heard this before but worth saying again; cast them both before deciding! If possible, side by side! Either would be a good stick. What do you fish now? If you have an older Premium rod, you probably want really be satisfied with a mid-range or budget priced rod. Cork quality on your older rods is most likely far superior to what you will find on the new rods you proposed!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I fish mostly for trout these days. I have a Scott G series 2WT (8'8"). A GLoomis GLX 9' 6 WT, and a Sage RPLX 9' 9WT. I think I may just sell the 6 and 9 wt rods and use a 4WT with an occaisional outing with the 2WT if the wind is dead. I cant really try them, other than shake them while standing in Basspro (The Sage ....no idea where to get another Scott around here). My rods are 20 plus years old, and I figure the newer mid priced rods are probably more advanced graphite than what I have now....things have really changed!

The GLX 6wt is still a great streamer rod. I have a GLX 8 wt that is still one of my favorites after building it 15 years ago and acquiring several newer high end rods since then. Won't Bass Pros let you test cast the rods? I have not found a fly shop that would not let me test cast their rods in the parking lot or a nearby lawn.

Ted

They may let me in the parking lot....we'd have to drive to be on grass. This time of year, casting in a parking lot with a line different than what I'd fish with I'm not sure that would tell me a whole lot. I'm leaning toward the Sage but the Scott is pretty tempting.

Blog Entries

Mike,

Both Sage and Scott make very good fly rods, both have been around a long time and both have good warranties, and to top it off they sell them for about the same price. I am a bit prejudiced towards Sage, as that is all I fish with except one bamboo rod. But, I have some friends who love their Scott fly rods.
    You can't go wrong with either rod, so go with your instincts and buy the one you want. Then go out and go fishing. Let us know which one you picked.

Larry ---sagefisher---

You're asking folks here to make a rod decision for you? Only you can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Mike,

Both Sage and Scott make very good fly rods, both have been around a long time and both have good warranties, and to top it off they sell them for about the same price. I am a bit prejudiced towards Sage, as that is all I fish with except one bamboo rod. But, I have some friends who love their Scott fly rods.
    You can't go wrong with either rod, so go with your instincts and buy the one you want. Then go out and go fishing. Let us know which one you picked.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Thanks Larry, have you been able to try out a Sage Response? I felt one in the store and it felt like a really nice rod. I do like Sage, but I like Scott too...both are great rods. I'm looking forward to hearing from people who have made the decision I'm facing, and hear what they have to say about their choice.

Blog Entries

Mike,

I have not tried the Response model. Sorry.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I have cast the A4 804-4 and thought it was an excellent rod. I've only held the response. I felt the Scott won on appearance.
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 01-23-2015 at 12:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread