+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scott A4 vs Sage Response

I haven't cast either rod specifically, but I have had rods from both brands. I'm not sure if it's still this way, but it used to be that Scott's was a slightly better warranty. It used to be that Scott was one of the few brands that still had an unconditional warranty, meaning, literally, that it didn't matter what caused the damage to the rod. Sage and others changed their warranties a while ago to limit or exclude coverage from most non-fishing circumstances. As defensible as that may be, it still would leave one manufacturer's warranty covering a little more than the others.

One thing I can comment on from firsthand experience is your choice of reel, and that's a fantastic choice.

considering the rods you have, the Scoot action would be more in tune with them. the Sage would be a bit faster and stiffer than the scott.

I cast the A4 and the Response 6 wts at the Denver fly fishing show. I wouldn't say I cast them side by side, though. As has been pointed out, the main difference is that the Response is a faster, stiffer rod. The A4 has a somewhat more moderate, relaxed casting stroke. I liked them both. The Response actually felt a bit "klunky" to me while casting--a little heavy and not as smooth. But that's mostly compared to the Sage One that I had cast just before rather than to the A4.

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    Sage and others changed their warranties a while ago to limit or exclude coverage from most non-fishing circumstances. As defensible as that may be, it still would leave one manufacturer's warranty covering a little more than the others.
    I don't see much difference. The Sage warranty says,"This warranty does not cover fire, theft, missing rod sections, intentional breakage, modification or customization of the finished rod, or damage during the assembly of a blank into a finished rod." The Scott warranty says, "The warranty does not cover loss or theft, loss or damage caused by transportation such as airlines, UPS, FedEx, US Mail, intentional damage, or damage from neglect." Both seem to cover slamming it in the car door, stepping on it, falling on it, and all the various other mayhem that we might typically inflict.

Hmmmm, at this point I might be leaning toward the Scott now. Decisions, decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by MJFNH View Post
    Hmmmm, at this point I might be leaning toward the Scott now. Decisions, decisions!
    Don't let me turn you off on the Response. It struck me as a really nice rod at that price point. It's just the difference between the fast and more moderate action. And I was casting 6 wts rather than 4s, so the difference may be more pronounced.
    Last edited by Trigg; 01-24-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Don't let me turn you off on the Response. It struck me as a really nice rod at that price point. It's just the difference between the fast and more moderate action. And I was casting 6 wts rather than 4s, so the difference may be more pronounced.
    No that's alright....I was torn between but leaning toward the Sage because it's easier to obtain for me. I do have a Sage, and a Scott and like them both for their different qualities. We really need some decent fly shops up here so I can see both side by side, and even cast them. I may have to take a ride to another state to do so. There's a sporting show here end of March but not sure if they will have those rods there...and I'd like to be fishing with it well before then. Di you find the Scott to be semi fast? My 2 wt G series is very slow, I believe the A4 is a faster action.

Quote Originally Posted by MJFNH View Post
    Di you find the Scott to be semi fast? My 2 wt G series is very slow, I believe the A4 is a faster action.
    I haven't cast the G, but yes, I would say the A4 is medium-fast.

I have fished a Scott G series and definitely classify it as a true medium action rod. I was on a trip out west and the guide let me use his G 4wt for fishing tricos; great rod for that. I own a Scott ASA, the original in the A series. I have also fished the A3, and will say the A series are med/fast rods and are great all around rods. I use mine for fishing tricos, midges, nymphs or streamers. its a workhorse. I have a Scott S4 which has an action close to the Sage 1, which is a fast action. Now this rod is more specialized, bombing out big casts, heavy nymphing and big streamer fishing.

Figure out what you want to use the rod for and what the main objective Is and buy the rod that best fits that use.

+ Reply to Thread