This is not surprising to me.
The TU I belong to started a program 3 years ago. We started this by selling buttons and saying " I help stock". The buttons went for $10. With your purchase, you got a list of where the stocking was taking place and when. We've had some ups and downs, mainly to inside politicking, as to who says what and where they go. You can't believe of all of the bosses you get when you come up with an idea. The worst is when you get guys that buy a button and tell his friends where they are stocking and we don't get any money from greedy people.That was one problem.
The other was we had an idea that TU might step in as they are really pushing the brook trout thing. That's fine, My state does water testing constantly to give a "rating" as to what waters can produce their own fish and have a natural reproduction. That's also fine. Our streams get rated-A,B,C and so on with A being the best. We stock our fish in C rated waters. Nothing that the Fish commission doesn't stock. But we also went a few more yards and this will be of interest. Do some research of national TU. They were behind and assisted in stocking Salmon in the great lakes area. Since when did the Chinook salmon run up the east coast? The information is in the archives located in your computer.

To make a long story short, the state TU nor national has yet to state "cease and desist". Try it. Then, that's when the stocking program goes from part of the local TU to a club of it's own. The local chapter will probably falter at that point. No more money coming in to feed you my dear friend--national TU. As for your local TU chapter, do this. Donate your money to the club that's stocking the same amount that you spent on putting those fish in. Bring it up at a meeting when the stocking takes place and go out and assist another club
You can still be a part of It. Take pictures and post It on your website in the TU. It's grass roots at it's best. We took areas that the state already stocked and we put more fish in and bigger fish. Nothing under 13" was something that we also did. Another piece of the pie was we spoke to the local Biologist for the states fish commission at a sportsmen's show and told him what we were doing. He thought that was great and approved of the stocking for those waters. Now we had science on our side. Pretty hard to argue from then on.

Randy