+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TU chapter stocking

Default TU chapter stocking

I know there are several TU chapters in various areas of the country that stock local rivers. Our chapter was recently ordered by TU national to end our stocking efforts with no discussion. I'm wondering if anyother chapters have run into this situation and what you did

Thanks

Perhaps it is time for your chapter to leave TU and join the IFFF? To the best of my knowledge, none of chapters in my state plant fish. I can understand national's concern, but it is exactly this sort of high-handed disregard for regional concerns and interests that I find most annoying about TU.

Another poor decision. Its like they want to push me off the fence.

They need to be stood up to so they don't run all of the anglers out of TU and have it become an anti-angling organization.

Ed

jmccall,

Was your TU chapter stocking through the TU "Trout in the Classroom" program or as a chapter stand alone activity? I'd certainly be asking TU National for an explanation of why you've been ordered to cease stocking. Sounds like someone complained about your activities. Last year we were ordered to cease our "Trout in the Classroom" stocking in a small stream in a National park area where we had been able to do it previously, with their permission. Rumor had it that it had to something to do with a total ban on stocking anything because of all the snakes released in the Florida area or something like that. Whatever the reason I'm sure that the "invasion" of 200 fingerling brook trout a year raised in a classroom would upset the environmental integrity of an otherwise devoid of fish stream up in the mountains.

No it wasn't related to a 'Trout in the classroom' effort. This was something our chapter had been doing for over 20 years. I do believe this was do to someone complaining. Luckily there was another group able to take this project over

John

In a lot of cases...folks who push real hard to stop stocking on public water, have private water they are able to fish otherwise. They'll be far more self-righteous with somebody else's primary water.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    In a lot of cases...folks who push real hard to stop stocking on public water, have private water they are able to fish otherwise. They'll be far more self-righteous with somebody else's primary water.
    You sure hit that nail on the head.

I would be interested in the water your Chapter has been stocking for so long?
    Is it marginal trout water where there would be no fishing for trout without annual stockings?
    If that is the case I can see no reason for TU's high-handed objection and directive!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I have heard that, at least in some cases, when stocking was stopped trout fishing improved. Could this new policy be in response to that? Just to be clear (and prevent some flaming) I'm not against stocking when it does some good but if TU can save some money on trout stocking and put that money toward stream improvement, I'm all for that.

+ Reply to Thread