Quote Originally Posted by cycler68 View Post
I have heard that, at least in some cases, when stocking was stopped trout fishing improved. Could this new policy be in response to that? Just to be clear (and prevent some flaming) I'm not against stocking when it does some good but if TU can save some money on trout stocking and put that money toward stream improvement, I'm all for that.
Yeah, it entirely depends on where you're talking about. Montana stopped stocking decades ago and fishing improved dramatically. In states with only marginal water, stocking is the only way to ensure that everyone has access to trout.

In our region, the state stocks, but TU volunteers help with the actual putting of fish in the water, so that the fish can be float stocked, not just dumped into one spot. Maybe the OP's chapter could do something like that.

I can see all sorts of reasons why TU national would ask a chapter to stop stocking. Maybe they didn't have the permits (which, by the way, Trout in the Classroom requires in my area.). Maybe they're ruining a population of wild fish. Maybe they're wasting their resources on something the state should be providing. I'd certainly ask why, but TU's core mission is conservation, not stocking fish.