Thread: Attn. new tyers

Threaded View

Default Attn. new tyers

Is there any interest in a beginners fly swap this year? Parnelli has run one in years past but I understand that he isn't doing so this year. This is a very good way to improve your skills and learn some new patterns. If there is enough interest (5-10 people) I will host such a swap. I'm thinking four different patterns tied one each month for February 28 through May 30. Please sign up by January 31. We would start with a nymph or wet fly, then do a streamer followed by a winged dry fly and a final fly to be voted on by the swappers. I'll participate in the swaps also and will offer p.m.'s with suggestions for improvement if you desire them. I will also try to answer any questions you may have when tying the flies on techniques or materials. You would need to tie enough flies of one pattern to give everyone one and you will get back one from everyone else. You would mail the flies to me with a self addressed stamped envelope included to cover return postage. Flies should have an attached toe tag with your name, the name of the fly and the materials for the fly as well as anything else you think people need to duplicate it. In the interest of learning, I would suggest tying a dozen of each pattern and sending the best of them for the swap. I think that you will usually find that the first several are the ones that you keep. To avoid duplicates state what fly you will tie the first month when you sign up or as soon after as you can. The first person to list a pattern has it. I'll do a fox squirrel nymph in the round that has worked well for me on both trout and panfish.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 01-19-2015 at 09:05 PM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.