And I didn't even know there were loons in New Jersey. Now, on to something a little more closely related to the original post...

I guess I don't really see the point in using WD-40 as a fly treatment. With so many products on the market that work well for this intended purpose, why bother? Sure, a big can of WD-40 costs less than a small bottle of _______ (insert favorite fly treatment product here) but on a "per fly treated basis" is that really an issue? Also, maybe the WD-40 treatment will last longer than some other product but, again, is drying and re-treating a fly that big of a problem? Using WD-40 as a fly treatment sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

Reminds me of a discussion that comes around every once in a while in the woodworking community, cleaning the gunk off of saw blades, router bits and the like. There are products specifically designed to do this task. Someone is always looking for a "better way". Oven cleaner, various cleaning products like SIMPLE GREEN, etc. Really? A bottle of the actual blade and bit cleaner costs a bit more but for the few pennies more the actual stuff costs, do you really need a better option?

Just my 2 cents worth.