+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproofing

Hybrid View

Question Waterproofing

This must have been discussed before but I don't recall. Have any of you guys used WD-40 as a waterproofing?
    That is what it was designed to do and it should not dissolve in the water in any way a fish could detect.
    I would propose immersing the fly or bugger in the solution right at the tying bench to fully adsorb the fluid and then fully air dry. What say you ?

Blog Entries

Not good for the stream, I'm pretty sure.

Heck no that would be the worst stuff to use. First it is toxic and next it does not dry out. It's a lubricant. If you want to use something getb some a bottle of "WaterShed".

Legend has it the smell is a fish attractant... Not that I condone that...
    Last edited by smij; 01-18-2015 at 09:40 PM.

I tried Rain-x windshield treatment (same stuff as Watershed); dip, sit, use 24 hours later. Worked okay, but I much prefer a good topical floatant like Dry Magic. WD-40? It'd leave a slick like the Exxon Valdez.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 01-18-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Pre treat drys with this stuff. Some in a bottle and immerse for a few minutes and hang to dry. You can use it stream side and false cast for 10 or so minutes in a pinch. Doesn't mat CDC and is permanent as near as I can tell.

https://repelwell.com/
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

Quote Originally Posted by gordo7 View Post
    Pre treat drys with this stuff. Some in a bottle and immerse for a few minutes and hang to dry. You can use it stream side and false cast for 10 or so minutes in a pinch. Doesn't mat CDC and is permanent as near as I can tell.

https://repelwell.com/
    I was going to say there must be some very good nano technology stuff out there and wondered if they have been tried...seems that Repell Well is one.

BTW WD 40 is techniqally not considered a lubricant. It is a water displacer and they went through 40 formulas before satisfied ...hence....WD-40. Also it is indeed an attractant and has been sprayed on lures...especially for salmon. Some folks say it has anise oil in it...hence ....the attraction.

I tried some on a fly years ago...put the fly in a glass of water and it sank like a rock.

Blog Entries

The question is...........did it leave an oil slick?........

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I was going to say there must be some very good nano technology stuff out there and wondered if they have been tried...seems that Repell Well is one.

BTW WD 40 is techniqally not considered a lubricant. It is a water displacer and they went through 40 formulas before satisfied ...hence....WD-40. Also it is indeed an attractant and has been sprayed on lures...especially for salmon. Some folks say it has anise oil in it...hence ....the attraction.

I tried some on a fly years ago...put the fly in a glass of water and it sank like a rock.
    Not to start a war but if you go to the WD40 web site you'll see that they classify it as a lubricant along with many other uses. It was used as a firearms lub for many years until it was determined that it was detrimental to the firearms that were not maintained properly.

Blog Entries

To perhaps stop a war.......it is apparently both.....a water displacer and a lubricant....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 01-19-2015 at 01:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread