+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTB: Euro nymphing rod

Default WTB: Euro nymphing rod

I have decided that it is time for me to try this technique, but since I'm not sure I will like it, I would like to keep the expenditure to a minimum at first. So... I am either looking for a used rod, or a rod on sale.

From what I have read, I should probably get a medium action 10' rod in either 3 or 4 weight. Although I don't have an absolute preference for brand, rods that I have read good things about are Greys Streamflex, Sage ESN, Cortland Competition and Hardy Zenith. Other brands will also be considered.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by jgrossing; 01-17-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Blog Entries

I have a nearly new Cortland Brook series 10' 4wt I would sell. I just haven't used it much and have a cranky back.

I have a new in Cordoba covered tube Albright EXS 1004-4
    The rod is a 10' 4wt 4 piece Czech Nymphing rod.
    It is brand new, never used (plastic still on grip)
    $175 plus shipping
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Hey JGrossing. I regularly use this technique as to many people I know. The Sage ESN in 3wt or 2wt is the rod of choice for the more experienced guys. If you're just wanting to try czech nymphing out, then see if you can find a Grey's Streamflex in 3wt. They are a great entry point and anyone who uses them seems to like them(and keep them). I hope this helps!

Blog Entries

This rod also still has the grip covered in plastic, used minimally for 140.00. Cortland Brook 10' 4 wt.

Wizard

Thanks for the kind offer. I have just borrowed a Cortland Competition Nymph 10'6" 4 wt to try. Do you know how the Cortland Brook compares to the Cortland Competition Nymph? I fear that a 4 wt is a little on the heavy side for Euro nymphing, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Blog Entries

A 4 wt is definitely not too heavy for Euronymphing. The good thing about the Brook is it makes a very nice dry fly rod on big waters too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrossing View Post
    Wizard

Thanks for the kind offer. I have just borrowed a Cortland Competition Nymph 10'6" 4 wt to try. Do you know how the Cortland Brook compares to the Cortland Competition Nymph? I fear that a 4 wt is a little on the heavy side for Euro nymphing, but I thought I'd give it a try.

+ Reply to Thread