+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colorado Angler Rotary Vise?

Hybrid View

Default Colorado Angler Rotary Vise?

Has anyone used the Colorado Angler Supply Rotary Vise that is sold by Sportsman's Warehouse?
    I am considering trying a rotary vise and it is the least expensive one I have located.
    It is very similar to the rotary sold by Stone Creek, but for less money.
    There are no other tiers around who use a rotary for me try without buying one.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Here is a review of similar or maybe same vise under different marketing name

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re...otary_vise.htm

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    Here is a review of similar or maybe same vise under different marketing name

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise Revi...otary_vise.htm
    That is it. The one from SW comes with a bobbin hanger. They had nice things to say about the jaws. I don't tie anything real big so the one comment about saltwater and muskie flies doesn't bother me.

Thanks for finding that.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Boy that review sure is generous. Have used the same vise under a different name (undoubtedly same source) and the tolerances on it were so bad it barely held a hook. If you need a cheap vise, the Sunrise knockoff of the Regal is a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Boy that review sure is generous. Have used the same vise under a different name (undoubtedly same source) and the tolerances on it were so bad it barely held a hook. If you need a cheap vise, the Sunrise knockoff of the Regal is a better choice.
    I could not find a source for a Sunrise and the Regal is not a true rotary vise. I can rotate the jaws of my Super II vise but would like to try one that can be rotated using a crank.
    I have started to tie hair jigs and it would be considerably easier and faster with a true rotary.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Sportsmen's Warehouse sells all the off shore clones relabeled, but as you say not true rotary. Griffin Spider Oddessy or Danvise are going to be your next choices, but neither are as cheap. If money is an issue, would not even bother with the true rotary feature and just concentrate on getting a good vise, personally. YMMV.

Money is obviously an issue. Were it not, I would have bought a Peak and been done with it.
    I am trying to not spend money on something that may not be worth the expenditure.
    If I had the opportunity I would have borrowed a rotary vise and been able to make a better informed decision. Unfortunately I only know one other that ties in the area and he has a fixed vise very like mine.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

You might look at the Mayfly2 vise ...now made in USA and has a cam lock. If you deal directly he will forgive shipping.

I had better luck with mine than Whatfly (above) did. I have long since upgraded to much better vises-Dyna King and HMH but got the EZ Rotary from Hook&Hackle several years ago.

Mine holds the hooks ok as long as you are not tying on large hooks where the holding power is not as good. The only problem I had was the larger screw stripping the threads when I tried to tighten it too much. I replaced the screw with a thumbscrew from the hardware store. Hook&Hackle also sells replacement jaws for around $9 and they put the vise on sale for $10 off every so often-you need to sign up for their mailing list.

Dave

If you are planning to tie larger jigs like 1/8 oz. crappie jigs I would not advise you to get this vise. I don't think it holding grip is that good on larger hooks as mentioned above.
    Last edited by dave potts; 01-15-2015 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added comment

+ Reply to Thread