+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    Wetsocks, are you new to fly fishing? If so, shoot me a message.... I've got some flies somebody gave me when I started and they're just collecting dust. Would love to give them to someone who could use and appreciate them! As I'd throw a few personal favorites in!
    Messaged you!

You've received many good answers here already, but there is one more fly I think you should include in your fly box. It's called the cap spider and it was designed to be a sinking version of the floating spider. You can see a video here of how it is tied. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZekzILGRI It is a great pattern for when the fish are feeding sub surface. Just cast it along a weed line or off the edge of brush, let it sink for about 3-4 seconds and use a short (2 inch) strip retrieve with about 1 second between each strip. I use the 1/124 oz jigs for this fly and it's easy to cast with my four wt. Good luck.

Jim Smith

Over the past two years, I've tied A LOT of different patterns, mainly to teach myself techniques, etc. I have fished just about every one of those patterns. I can tell you this much. When it comes to Bluegill, they aren't that picky. As long as the bug is presented where they are feeding, and looks buggy, it should get hit!

That said, I'm a big fan of craft foam bugs, either a Gurgle-Pop or a GFA Hopper. Last year I started tying Muddler Minnows on a 3xl curved-shank hook, size 12. Lots of fish have hit that, from Bluegills to LMBs.

I'm also becoming a big fan of Soft Hackles. I typically fish still waters, and really like to hang a Soft Hackle on a dropper under a Muddler Minnow.

I've been playing around with other nymph patterns as well. I've also done some various parachute patterns.

As I've said, 'gills have hit pretty much everything. It's just a matter of finding what works for you.

I appreciate all of the advice!

Some of my favorites include foam Gurglers (with rubber legs) and #10 Gartside Sparrow. Its rare that bluegills get picky...but it does happen. I think the most important thing is to know the size of the bluegills in the water you are fishing, and make sure you size your fly appropriately. Keep the hook as far back on the fly as possible...makes tails no longer than hook-gap beyond the bend....Bluegills are notorious for being short-biters.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

any fly with a lot of built-in action, esp. fly with marabou or rubber legs ie. leeches and girdle bugs. For dries, try twitching a griffeth's gnat or crackle back on still waters
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Green Weenie. Very effective on panfish. Very simple pattern to tie. You can tie it with or without a bead. Add legs, though that may make something other than a Green Weenie. Most effective colors for me have been chartreuse, fluorescent yellow, white and olive. Size 8-12. Not a bad pattern for trout either.

Thank you all!

+ Reply to Thread