Continued from Post 1

06 lower creek resized.jpg
This is the lower reaches of another local mountain trout stream, and on private property, so I don?t get to fish it here. This is about as big as most of the local streams get before they enter the piedmont and get too warm for trout.

07 The River.jpg
This is my backyard warmwater stream. I can canoe for several hundred yards between riffles, but logs and shallow areas prevent long canoe trips. There are pools over 4 feet deep, but the riffles may be very shallow and there are numerous runs where the stream can be crossed with dry knees. The tree canopy almost completely covers the stream.

08 Orvis.jpg
This is the cover of another popular book on small streams, and is clearly bigger, at least in terms of water volume, than any of the streams so far. The tree canopy isn?t visible, but doesn?t appear to cover the stream even though it appears to be an eastern location.

09 Meck.jpg
This is the cover of another book on small stream fishing. This is a small stream? The water is well over knee deep, and looks to be at least three rod lengths wide. But I agree that perspective may be misleading, since one bank is not visible.

So what do you think of as a small stream? When is it no longer a small stream?

Perhaps more importantly, what size water do you prefer to fish?