Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; Jan 5 to 12, 2015

It?s that time of year again; many are anxious to get out and use the new stuff they got from under the Christmas tree. Others are making plans and resolutions for another year of angling. Me, I am reminiscing about the many great angling adventures I have been fortunate enough to have. I know, I know, I should be out chasing steelhead. Well; I just flat out, don?t like grey skies and cold rain. Oh for how I look forward to retiring from my day job, when I will be able to spend my winters fly fishing all the hot spots around the Gulf of Mexico.

Do you remember that first great fish you caught all by yourself? After you caught that fish, where did your dreams and fascination lead you? My first prize at age ten was landed on Thanksgiving Sunday, 1965. I had been fishing before, but the catch never really amount too much, except for a few small fish that were too small to bring home. I had learned to fish from my peers, who were all fishermen; and I was desperate to fit in. With a sixteen inch cutthroat in hand, I knew I had arrived. As I stared at that fish, knew I had found a sport that provided a life time of fascination and adventure. A year later I learned to make and repair rods. Five years later I was introduced to fly fishing, but it would be twenty three years before I would learned to tie my own flies. More years passed and I became an assistant coach for a youth fly fishing club, which lead to becoming head coach, and then the club coordinator. The coaching led to teaching adult classes, and then writing. The adventure continues; around the next bend and down the next trail, one never knows what a new dawn will bring.

Many are still making their plans and resolutions; it?s never too late. A new year has begun, and the game is just starting. To achieve you need a plan, to plan you need vision, to make it all work you require time and effort. The challenge of a new year has been rendered; the gauntlet is at your feet. Pick up the glove, take the challenge; this could be your year.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are ice free again. Try a slow troll or retrieve with a: Wooly Bugger, Leach, Dragon nymph, Halfback, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is slow for cutthroat and dolly Varden. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Flesh Fly, Anderson Stone, Eggo, Chez Nymph, Big Black, black Stonefly Nymph, or Micro Leach.

The Vedder River is slow, for steelhead. Try GP, Squamish Poacher, Polar Shrimp, Popsicle, Big black, Flat Black, Eggo, or black Stonefly Nymph.

The Harrison River is slow to fair for rainbow, and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Rolled Muddler, Zulu, Eggo, Chez Nymph, Big Black, Black Stone Nymph, Micro Leach.

The Thompson River is closed.