+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Cement

Hybrid View

Default Head Cement

Two years ago I was at a fly show and I observed a professional tier tying a dry. Upon finishing the fly she said that she rarely uses head cement. I decided to try an experiment last year and not use head cement on my dries. It did not seem to make a difference. My flies seemed to last just as long with the head cement as without. I must admit that I rarely end up fishing one fly all day and I lose many of them before they can show their "wear a tear" but the flies that I had to replace were not due to the thread becoming unraveled during use. Is head cement overrated?
    Caribe

I think it depends upon the fly.
    I use it on boa yarn flies so they don't fall apart as fast.
    Use it on any bead headed fly I tie. I think it makes it more durable.

Rick

2 half hitches and a little Sally brushed on the head adds maybe 3 seconds to the tie. If I didn't use cement, it might be okay but I'd be thinking about it and I prefer to think as little as possible when I fish.

Regards,
    Scott

I use cement selectively. Never on dry flies unless they are extra large or otherwise seem to require it for some reason. Almost always on nymphs and streamers.

You may not most of the time. But when one does come undone, the irritation will not be worth the 3 seconds saved.

Blog Entries

You have made a great observation! Head cement is over-rated. In the "old days", tying thread was not pre-waxed. Today's waxed threads do not really require head cement at the eye, though most/many tiers still apply.

On certain flies, during the tying, a tiny amount of head cement might be helpful........for example, if you want a little added security at the base of wings, etc. Even then, if you do a good job of tying down with today's thread, it shouldn't be necessary.

My most respected tier, Bob Jacklin of Jacklin's Fly Shop in West Yellowstone, uses a lot of head cement in his tying, but I don't think it is really necessary, myself anyway.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 01-02-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Blog Entries

I use Sally on many of my freshwater flies, both dry and wet. For saltwater I use Hard As Hull head cement. I also started not using cement in the more traditional way of finishing the tie and then applying the nail polish on some flies, depends if I want to or not, no set reason. I will also often apply a little Sally on my thread just before I tie it off, that glues the thread into the knot without coating the head. Again, depends on how I feel. But, for saltwater, I always use head cement, those fish have big teeth and the rocks have barnacles.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Cannot hurt - probably an improvement. Thinned (10-20% thinner) lacquer penetrates and adds negligent weight to a dry. Both cents.
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

Now that I think about it, when I do not use head cement I do a double whip finish. I use Veevus thread and I feel I can crank down a lot harder on the whip finish....something I could not do with my old thread. I still must have some doubts on neglecting the head cement since I feel I need to double up on the whip finish and crank down on the thread. It doesn't take much more time to add the cement but when I crowd the head (a technique I employ way to often) the cement has a tendency to fill the eye of the hook......and that takes time to clear at the bench or on the stream. Thanks for the responses. Its nice to know that at least some times head cement is not needed.
    Caribe

Dry flies never, nymphs yes because I feel they take a beating down under.
    Gene

+ Reply to Thread