+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Cement

Default Head Cement

Two years ago I was at a fly show and I observed a professional tier tying a dry. Upon finishing the fly she said that she rarely uses head cement. I decided to try an experiment last year and not use head cement on my dries. It did not seem to make a difference. My flies seemed to last just as long with the head cement as without. I must admit that I rarely end up fishing one fly all day and I lose many of them before they can show their "wear a tear" but the flies that I had to replace were not due to the thread becoming unraveled during use. Is head cement overrated?
    Caribe

I think it depends upon the fly.
    I use it on boa yarn flies so they don't fall apart as fast.
    Use it on any bead headed fly I tie. I think it makes it more durable.

Rick

2 half hitches and a little Sally brushed on the head adds maybe 3 seconds to the tie. If I didn't use cement, it might be okay but I'd be thinking about it and I prefer to think as little as possible when I fish.

Regards,
    Scott

I use cement selectively. Never on dry flies unless they are extra large or otherwise seem to require it for some reason. Almost always on nymphs and streamers.

You may not most of the time. But when one does come undone, the irritation will not be worth the 3 seconds saved.

Blog Entries

You have made a great observation! Head cement is over-rated. In the "old days", tying thread was not pre-waxed. Today's waxed threads do not really require head cement at the eye, though most/many tiers still apply.

On certain flies, during the tying, a tiny amount of head cement might be helpful........for example, if you want a little added security at the base of wings, etc. Even then, if you do a good job of tying down with today's thread, it shouldn't be necessary.

My most respected tier, Bob Jacklin of Jacklin's Fly Shop in West Yellowstone, uses a lot of head cement in his tying, but I don't think it is really necessary, myself anyway.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 01-02-2015 at 12:48 AM.

so, if you don't use head cement, do you use extra whips? I must be in the minority, as a lot of my flies come apart. I have started using a whip finisher instead of my fingers, and use 5 whips. What do you use in lieu of HC?

Blog Entries

A 3-4 turn whip finish. The thread must be held taut during the knot.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 01-02-2015 at 12:48 AM.

I don't use head cement, I do two four turn whips on larger flies, size 12 and larger and one four turn whip on smaller. When I used to use head cement and accidentally glue the eye shut, it would be only when I had a rising fish and I was hurrying to tie on a fly only to find I couldn't thread it and had to clear the eye, then the fish would stop rising. Every time.

Blog Entries

I use Sally on many of my freshwater flies, both dry and wet. For saltwater I use Hard As Hull head cement. I also started not using cement in the more traditional way of finishing the tie and then applying the nail polish on some flies, depends if I want to or not, no set reason. I will also often apply a little Sally on my thread just before I tie it off, that glues the thread into the knot without coating the head. Again, depends on how I feel. But, for saltwater, I always use head cement, those fish have big teeth and the rocks have barnacles.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread