+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New waders/ new to waders

Hybrid View

Default New waders/ new to waders

I wanted a pair of waders for Christmas and was just hoping for a decent pair due to funds. Well my dad was down at the good will store near where he lives and found a pair of Simms G3 waders for $35! They look new. They are stocking foot waders with goretex uppers.
    So the question is, is there anything I should know about taking care of waders? I have never had a pair much less ones that nice! Also the feet being neoprene are tight any suggestions on loosening them up a bit, or is that not recommended? Any help would be appreciated.
    Brian K Cooper

Here are some tips.
    Always hang your waders out to dry thoroughly after each use. If you used them in salt water or brackish water, it?s always a good idea to rinse them with fresh water before letting them dry. This will prevent salt deposits from forming.
    Inspect your waders before every use to be sure there are no weak spots or punctures that will make them leak.
    When storing waders, be sure they are totally dry before hanging them up in a cool, dark place with no direct sunlight
    Store them in the trunk or out of the sun when transporting
    The stocking footed waders are used with boots so they should be almost as tight as socks.
    Last edited by billhouk; 12-26-2014 at 07:05 PM.

You might check them for leaks if you haven't already. If you don't have a handy place to wade, put them on and sit in a bathtub for a few minutes. Pinhole leaks are easy to fix with AquaSeal. The Simms website ought to give you all the care recommendations you need. I doubt you can stretch the booties, though. Could be a great find by dear old dad!

Blog Entries

Blood circulation in your feet is very important. If the feet are too tight that can be a problem. I would suggest wearing very thin socks to decrease the bulk. Make sure you have wading shoes that are oversized.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Wow, if those are in good shape, that might qualify as the steal of your fly fishing lifetime! Here's the support page for Simms waders: http://www.simmsfishing.com/support/repairs.html The videos at the bottom will be extremely helpful.

Thanks for all the help. The waders have been tested and no leaks were found! Tromped up and down my little creek today and enjoyed wading despite it being somewhere around 40 degrees. The toes are tight but he rest of the foot fits fine. Fit great inside my wading shoes. I am happier than I know what to do with!
    Hoss

Nice catch!

Brian-

I missed your original comment about the neoprene feet being too tight. If that's the case, and if you're willing to spend a little more, Simms used to have a program where they would replace the feet on any given pair of waders for a modest amount. I know my brother had to take advantage of that some years ago, due to needing a bigger size foot than what was available with the wader size that fit him. Simms stitched/taped/sealed larger size feet and all was good as new. You might email or call them and see if that service is still available and at what cost. Given how little you guys paid for those, you'd still be way ahead of the game.

+ Reply to Thread