+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I GOOFY?

Default Am I GOOFY?

Please, don't y'all raise your hands all at once.
    Here's my statement for your opinion, and perhaps some share the feeling. In my hunnert years or so years of fly fishing, almost all for trout, the largest fish I have caught was in the 22 inch range, never anything bigger. Having said that, in retrospect, I now realize I have NO desire to pursue or catch anything larger than that. My equipment , baits and choice of fisheries probably help along those lines. I know that some/ most (?) fisherfolks wish they had longer arms to boast as to the size of their catch but not I. This may sound warm and fuzzy but it's probably more important to me who I fish with and where. I have my regular buds , now down to three, Toledo, Toronto, Carmel, who meet once a year in Wyoming to gargle the grape, "dine", tell lies and fish. We've had some lean years but never skunked. None of us has ever caught anything of bragging size but we do share the "GOOFY" concept of "size doesn't matter".
    I'm just curious.....................

Mark

Marco you are as crazy as a loon. That makes two of us.(lol).

Tim

Not the least bit goofy. Years ago when I left New England for Texas and then back home to Kentucky, I took a long look at my fly-fishing. I came to the conclusion that I was either going to quit, or re-adjust my sights. I adjusted and today while some look down their nose at me, I am still enjoying my fly-fishing. Admittedly the trout are few and far between and all hatchery fish but that is OK. I enjoy a day at the pond chasing blue-gills and occasionally being surprised by a catfish as much as I did on the Nissitissit, maybe even more.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Marco,

I understand what you are saying. I do not alter my equipment or flies to only target large fish. I enjoy the fly fishing experience and all that Mother Nature has given me to admire. I just fish, relax, take a few pictures of flowers, birds and water creatures and enjoy my day on the water away from the "rat race" and people. I enjoy catching whatever wants to take my flies and no matter how small or what species of fish. I use the fly rod for all species of fish and tie all my own flies.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Man, what is the matter with you? What business do you have being content when there are Psychiatrist with children who need new Iphones. Life is just to unfair to too many people for you to go around being content. An official of the Illinois Department of Mental Health will be around to see you soon.

No you are not Goofy, that’s a Disney character. You are a happy fisherman, who probably doesn’t get out to do what he loves as often as he would like.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I am afraid the concept of contentment is being gradually weaned out of the human race. Hope I'm wrong.

the largest fish I have caught was in the 22 inch range
    22" ain’t nothing to sneeze at. Definitely puts a bend in the rod.

Actually, I think that shows a level of maturity. I find that there seems to be maturation process to many sports and hobbies, especially fly fishing. When you first start, you want to catch as many fish as you can. This is what I call the "fish counting" phase. Next is the largest fish of different species, I call the the "fish mounting" phase. Finally, there's the satisfaction phase where you're fishing for the sake of enjoying and appreciating all things fly fishing and the friends you get to share it with. Not everyone goes through all the stages, but many do. I am at the stage now that if/when I lose a nice fish, it doesn't bother me. I'm fishing for the enjoyment of being out there doing what I love to do. To answer your question, Am I goofy?, heck I don't know, but it sounds like you are in a great spot in your fly fishing "career".

Jim Smith

I have no problems catching 10" trout.
    I am giddy when a bluegill takes my fly.
    Little Snook are a ball, and are extremely user friendly.
    I will sight cast to my "little" bass any day...

Default Marco - Goofy you are not!

If one can't just enjoy the fishing and everything that surrounds you while pursuing that then they are the goofy ones. I always carry my little waterproof Pentax digital camera and spend considerable time taking photos of my surroundings. Do try an occasional underwater shot of a fish on line but have come to the conclusion that one needs three arms to accomplish it to a fair degree of accuracy. I have several photos of fish tails, heads and the like but not many of the whole fish. My biggest fish was a surprising 28" brown trout and that is my fish of a lifetime. However, my favorite place is a mountain stream where 6" is the norm and I've caught many a 2" giant too. And no, size doesn't matter any more and never really did. I'm just thankful to be able to get out once in a while and have at it.

+ Reply to Thread