+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tying Thunder Creek Streamers

Realized I forgot to put the first link in...my bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDQX2HjRYUA

Returning to the ORIGINAL question of the OP, yes the UV resins are easier to work with than epoxy, but I cannot get as symmetrical a head with UV products as I can with epoxy. That begin said, you just have to make sure that you have one that will flow well enough. What I've been doing is taking the finished fly out of the vise, and while holding it with a pair of hemostats, squeezing a small bead of UV resin on, and then working it into the shape I want with my bodkin, before hitting it with the UV flashlight. The purpose of the hemostats in my experience, is that if you do not keep the fly moving, the material will sag in one direction, so I rotate to keep it in shape. Process is pretty simple with very little practice. I still prefer epoxy, but the UV products work well enough. You might want to consider though that at the price, you could easily pay for a drying wheel with the difference between epoxy and the UV resins, if you tie a lot of flies. YMMV.

puffy paint - aka: frabric paint, no wheel, no drip just hang and let dry. can get in a chewy soft or a hard form. clear or any color you want
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

I use epoxy and a dryer for Thunders. As Whatfly mentioned it can be tough to get that classic shape with UV. You may need several layers...

Thank you all, lots to consider. I got a "new" came that should allow me to take closeups of what I tie. BUT, do I want to subject you all to that!!!
    Mike

Melk,

First, if you have a rotary vise, you can use 5 minute epoxy on your Thunder Creeks without a drying wheel. Mix a small amount, apply, and turn the vise. You can 'adjust' the epoxy with a bodkin as you turn the vise, giving it the proper shape. If you mix the glue for a couple of minutes, it will 'set' so it won't sag after just a couple of minutes of turning by hand. Not efficient for a lot of flies, but it works.

Same deal with the UV glues. Apply, keep the vise turning and adjust with a bodkin. Once you get the shape you like, keep it turning and apply the light. Nice clean, symmetrical heads.

If you don't have a rotary vise, then a drying wheel is your best bet with either type of finish.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I would suggest you look to one of our Sponsors , HOOK AND HACKLE, for their UV stuff. I've been using it for quite a while.
    The beauty is that their brand costs about 25% of the competitors. You never need real sunlight.
    As with ALL UV MATERIALS if you object to the slight stickiness after the stuff has been cured for a few seconds you can simply wipe the surface down with a Q-tip dipped in lacquer thinner. (use finger nail polish remover)
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 12-23-2014 at 04:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread