+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying Thunder Creek Streamers

Hybrid View

Default Tying Thunder Creek Streamers

Hi,
    As I try to expand my repertoire, I am going to try Thunder Creek Streamers. I don't have a drying wheel - yet, but I am curious, is it easier to use one of the UV set epoxies/glues to fix the head? I'm wondering about ease of operation, cost, space etc. I'm thinking the UV setting materials would be easier since you brush it on then hit with the light and viola! Done!
    I appreciate any thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

This does not answer your question directly, but another way to make an epoxy drying wheel is with an old rotisserie motor and a foam disc from the craft store. It is a more cost effective way of making one of those.

Regards,

Alberto

Mike,

I only have a little experience with UV products (Knotsense on a few Copper John wingcases), but I used epoxy/wheel a lot for saltwater flies. Got some decent results with epoxy and it's fairly cheap after the initial outlay (isn't that true for just about everything tying-related?), but I think I'd go with the UV. Even if you don't have a fancy curing light, one of those little pen-sized ones will get the stuff to hold in place, and then you can use the big curing light that goes across the sky every day.

Regards,
    Scott

A couple of layers of SHHAN and hang them on a coat hanger. Worked for me.

Tig has it! Lots cheaper than the UV stuff that really need direct sunlight to set up properly.

Try several layers of a Gloss Coat Head finish.

Quote Originally Posted by melk View Post
    Hi,
    As I try to expand my repertoire, I am going to try Thunder Creek Streamers. I don't have a drying wheel - yet, but I am curious, is it easier to use one of the UV set epoxies/glues to fix the head? I'm wondering about ease of operation, cost, space etc. I'm thinking the UV setting materials would be easier since you brush it on then hit with the light and viola! Done!
    I appreciate any thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Melk, you might find this interesting...I like his technique...and you might find the Loctite Go2 Glue he uses interesting.
    Follow the links to where he discusses his take on glues and epoxy.

Hi Ducksterman,
    I appreciate your thoughts, but I can't find a link to check.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Realized I forgot to put the first link in...my bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDQX2HjRYUA

Returning to the ORIGINAL question of the OP, yes the UV resins are easier to work with than epoxy, but I cannot get as symmetrical a head with UV products as I can with epoxy. That begin said, you just have to make sure that you have one that will flow well enough. What I've been doing is taking the finished fly out of the vise, and while holding it with a pair of hemostats, squeezing a small bead of UV resin on, and then working it into the shape I want with my bodkin, before hitting it with the UV flashlight. The purpose of the hemostats in my experience, is that if you do not keep the fly moving, the material will sag in one direction, so I rotate to keep it in shape. Process is pretty simple with very little practice. I still prefer epoxy, but the UV products work well enough. You might want to consider though that at the price, you could easily pay for a drying wheel with the difference between epoxy and the UV resins, if you tie a lot of flies. YMMV.

+ Reply to Thread