+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Different method of selling flies

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Different method of selling flies

From time-to-time, there will be a post in which someone asks how they might go about selling the flies they tie.

In general, I think it is a very low-paying proposition, unless you own your own shop.

However, folks keep inquiring.

Yesterday, there was a Facebook post from a fellow who has a little different way of trying to sell flies and I thought it might be interesting to those who still look for ways to sell their flies.

I just have a screen shot of one of the pages of his Facebook post, but I think you might get the idea from this.

I think Pat Dorsey, of Blue Quill Angler, does the same thing. Don't know how successful it is.

Blog Entries

As a hardcore fly angler who has had numerous utterly useless or unwanted/unneeded gifts given to me by well-meaning friends or relatives, I would really, really rather not be on the receiving end of this. I fish the flies I want to fish, not the ones that ANY of the fly shops around me (here or on the road) think I should fish.

I admit back when I worked a fly counter, we did put together gift packages of a fly box with a set of (generic) locally useful flies, and sold a ton of them, but I suspect most ended up rusting away in someones trunk, and we never pushed them on anyone who was buying a gift for anyone who knew what they were doing already.

Figure out what shops or online retailers the receiver frequents (not the ones you think they SHOULD shop at) and get them a gift card instead. Then they will end up with things they actually want or will use. This is a flyfishing equivalent of buying a pair of heels for your wife.

Dang, I *am* a grumpy old ****, aint I? LOL

DG, LeRoy at Pleasure Park use to push the flies he was stuck with, not what was working. I figured most fly shops did the same.

Blog Entries

DG
    As I said, I posted this for the guys who often ask how they might sell their flies. It was not posted as a suggestion that it would be a good gift for someone.

Myself, I only purchase interesting local patterns at fishing destination shops to use as examples for later tying; or flies tied by "famous tiers".....

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I tie professionally for several shops. I couldn't make a living just off of what I make from flies. The problem is that the market is flooded with flies that sell for $1.00 or less, each. I can't tie them that cheap, so I concentrate on hard-to-find patterns, and I do a lot of custom-tying for people. I make enough to keep myself in hooks and materials, but that's about it. But I am OK with it. At least it doesn't cost me anything.

+ Reply to Thread