+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So Why Do You Use The Vise You Do????

Hybrid View

Default So Why Do You Use The Vise You Do????

This post is not about which brand of vise you use. This post is about which vise do you use and why. Please allow me to share my response:

I have gone back to basics and simplicity. I use to tye on True rotary vises and only use the rotary function to turn the fly to look at the other side. I also hated on one particular rotary vise that I had to make and adjustment to allow a hook to be in a true rotary axis. I also found that my hands were cramped a bit on certain tying aspects of a true rotary vise. So that is the reason I switched over to my Standard HMH vise and have been very happy with it since I did. I like the minimal adjustment needed , Plenty of room for my hands to work and I can still rotate the fly to look at the other side easily like a true rotary. Most important of all is it hold hooks securely.

Now if I didn't tye saltwater flies, Bass Flies and Salmon flies I would have stayed with my old Thompson Pro II pedestal vise. My vise now that I Own allows me to change the jaws out in 30 seconds to work on the bigger flies or change out the jaws for midges and the standard jaw for normal size flies. I finally found a vise that is right for me.

Please understand that when I talk about my vise it's because it suites my needs and I am very comfortable with it. So now the question again. So why do you use the vise you do?

Blog Entries

I use a Nor-Vise because I tie a ton of articulated flies and flies using brushes. It is impossible to match the speed I get without true-rotary. At first I used some of the many vises I have for special tasks like full-dress Atlantics and such, but I have not tied on a different vise except to demonstrate for years.

I have all of the jaw choices and have not found anything as good as the plain jaws for everything. I do use the over-sized hub from the large jaws just to increase inertia.

I use a J-vise, which I bought 2 years ago after seeing Byron extolling the virtues of his here. I have been very happy with it. It is a true rotary. Before this, I tied for about 15 years on a Renzetti Traveler. The J-vise is much more solid and hold a greater range of hook sizes more securely. I tie everything from 6/0 saltwater flies to 24 midges. I really like the rotary feature for ribbing, dubbing, and winding on other body materials.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Fontinalis View Post
    [snip]Now if I didn't tye saltwater flies, Bass Flies and Salmon flies I would have stayed with my old Thompson Pro II pedestal vis.?
    Really? I suspect a bit of cognitive dissonance. While the Thompson was a good vise for its day, I could not imagine restricting myself to tying on one today. Of course, some are going to disagree...just as some will always disagree, probably because they have to...

A traditional style vise like the HMH has its place, but if I need minimal, I just use a Regal. Still prefer a true rotary with a cam jaws for most tying, but it mostly boils down to whatever is on the desk at the time.

Depending on the fly I use a Renzetti Master with the crank and a Regal. They do everything I want from a vice.

Jerry

My neighbor was upgrading from his Traveller and sold it to me for $50 in 1997. Unless I break it, I will never need another vise.

Regards,
    Scott

I'm a huge fan of the Nor-Vise. From the first fly I tied on it, it seemed to work perfectly for my style of tying. I find that I tie faster, especially when wrapping the body of the flies and it makes it very easy to check what the back side of the fly looks like. I tied on both a Regal and a Renzetti before the Nor-Vise but sold both after I got the Nor-Vise several years back.

Jim Smith

I love the idea that my Regal is ready to tie any size fly I want as I pass by. Maybe I'm ADD, but find myself tying one or two flies at a time a lot, and don't have to adjust it. Do have a Traveler, too, and use it when I am going to tie flies that lend themselves to the rotary.

+ Reply to Thread