+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a NOT attaboy for Orvis

So nice to see you well enough to post again, Warren.

herefishy,

Well I am not really what you would say, well enough. Just a note to keep you up to date: My wife had her left knee replaced yesterday, Friday, and all went well and they say I can bring her home tomorrow, Sunday. She has therapy on Monday.

As far as my health goes: I have an appointment with a Chemo doctor next week on Tuesday and another appointment with a Radiation doctor on Wednesday. They are going to give me treatments to shrink a tumor located in my rectum and hope to remove it maybe in February. Yes, I have cancer, but, hopefully, I can get it removed and be put back together soon. With my rotator cuff surgery in January, my wife's knee replacement and now cancer, 2014 has not been a very good year. Hopefully, 2015 will start out with the cancer gone.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks for the update, Warren. Hang in there, buddy. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Best of luck with the cancer diagnosis, Warren, we will be praying for you.

Orvis' turn around time is quite variable,from my own personal experience . Had a bamboo rod in to get work on and got it back in less than 2 months .which is four months better than most. had a graphite rod in and it took much longer. go figure. have to say, I was very satisfied with the work done. You, unfortunately , may have hit them at a busy time or someone ticketed incorrectly.
    Hope you have it resolved soon.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

depends on what model and if they have to make a new piece. if they can not fix they will replace the rod, how can you complain about that. I worked for orvis in the 90's and that is about parr for waiting if not longer, remember you are not the only repair they have from around the globe and they only have a few people who do the repairs.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

A couple of years ago, I lost the little "V" spring in my 8/9 wt. DXR reel. I called Orvis, and with shipping, they wanted something like $12 for the stupid little thing.. Well in speaking with the customer rep, he agreed that that was far to much for a 1/4" per side little metal "V", so he comp.ed the spring.

Wonderful! Except that the spring that arrived was a "coil" spring.... and therefore, useless...

Upon calling Orvis back, (another) rep. explained they don't carry "v" springs... So the reel sits in a drawer...
    Last edited by bowfin47; 12-14-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Have you thought of making one? If you can find someone who has an original, it should not be too hard to find the spring steel to make one.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin47 View Post
    A couple of years ago, I lost the little "V" spring in my 8/9 wt. CFO reel. I call Orvis, and with shipping, they wanted something like $12 for the stupid little thing.. Well in speaking with the customer rep, he agreed that that was far to much for a 1/4" per side little metal "V", so he comp.ed the spring.

Wonderful! Except that the spring that arrived was a "coil" spring.... and therefore, useless...

Upon calling Orvis back, (another) rep. explained they don't carry "v" springs... So the reel sits in a drawer...

I've made a couple, but not with good "spring steel" and mine all "fail" when fishing... The spool then releases from the reel body... not a good thing..
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

I suppose sporting supply companies have had the same business problems as with many other smaller business corporations, finances, overhead costs, keeping on good skilled employees, wages and who knows what. When I send something off for repair or warranty adjustments, I plan on doubling whatever time frame they give me. Obviously when it does not take "forever", I'd rather it be done right and I'll suck up the extra time. But what will get me real upset and my vital juices going, is when it takes a long time and the results are shoddy.

+ Reply to Thread