+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Go to strike indicator?

I like to use the live bait float for Walleye fishing. It's a tad bigger than a Tylenol and I use a cut down toothpick to peg it on the line. I have about 1/8 inch of the toothpick sticking out and rarely does it mess up during casting. When fishing midges I can cut the float in half and it's perfect for midging.

A lot of great replies, thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to give the New Zealand system a try but plan on picking up a few others as well.

I typically use the Lightning Strike White River Ball indicator - looks similar to the first link from John N in post 12.

What I really like about this type of indicator is that the ends of the rubber band used to secure the leader and indicator sticks out the top of the indicator. Which way the ends point help indicate where the fly is relative to the indicator. If the ends point downstream, you know the fly is on the stream bottom since the drag from bouncing along the bottom is forcing the indicator to tilt in the opposite direction.

As for indicator slippage, the answer is to build your own leader. The indicator won't slip on the butt sections of the leader and the intermediate sections are only 5 or 6 inches apart anyway (at least my recipe).

Quote Originally Posted by 1hook View Post
    A lot of great replies, thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to give the New Zealand system a try but plan on picking up a few others as well.
    A great system, but it can be done on the cheap with a patch of Sculpin Wool and some craft store micro tubing. I treat my wool and leaders with Payette Paste by Loon Outdoors.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Yea I think I may try making mine

I generally use the NZ system but with poly yarn instead of the wool. Also like the Float Masters when more floatation is needed.

steve

Well I went ahead and bought the actually NZ system. Got to use it for the first time today and was really impressed. It did everything I wanted. Lousy day fishing but good to get to try that out

I also use the Floatmaster indictor. They come in all shapes and colors and are very easy to adjust.

Glad to see some love for the strike indicators. I fish a pond regularly where there are those who scoff at the idea. I've actually been told directly several times over the years. I say whatever...I enjoy still water nymphing using a very small mad river indicator (held with a tooth pick). Not sure they even make them any longer, the few bags I have are quite old but I use them all summer as well as in rivers during the winter. Its a very effective way of fishing.

NZ and these...

http://www.fishairlock.com

P
    T/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread