Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; Dec 1 to 8, 2014

It is just over three weeks until Christmas; and it is time for us to make some gift suggestions for the anglers on your list.

It is often hard to buy for anglers who have everything; they already have a trunk, or maybe even a room full, of rods, reels, and all manner of assorted tackle. So what can you buy, that will amount to more than just more stuff? I would suggest quality outdoor wear. Anglers deal with the elements, and are no strangers to rain, snow and freezing temperatures.

Wool Socks, not the token ten or twenty percent, wool blends; no I mean the real stuff, sixty percent wool or better. Yes, you have to look for these socks, not every store carries them; military surplus stores are a good place to start.

Long underwear; be careful with this one, guys don?t buy guys underwear. Again wool is the product you want. Every company that produces man made fibers makes claims, as to the warmth of their product, but I have yet to find one that beats wool, and wool works even when it is soaking wet.

Rain gear; there are few things more unpleasant than a leaky rain coat. Ask anyone who works outside, day in day out, a good rain coat is an item of value. Not only do want one that keeps the rain out, but also you want one that does not soak you in condensation. Helly Hansen is the best I have found.

Waders; most anglers have one pare, but in truth most anglers three pare. To cover all an angler?s comfort; he or she requires Neoprene?s for very cold water, hip waders for summer, and the breathable sort for all other applications.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes should be fishable by the weekend. Winter tactics are the order of the day for the next several months. For better success; concentrate your fishing during the warmest parts of the day, mid morning through early afternoon. Your fish will be slow and sluggish due to the cold water, so make your presentations slow and allow extra time for your fish to take solidly, before setting the hook. Try a slow troll or retrieve with a: Wooly Bugger, Leach, Dragon nymph, Halfback, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is fair to good for coho, chum. For coho try: Coho blue, Rolled Muddler, Eggo, Christmas Tree, Bite Me, or olive Wooly Bugger. For chum try: Christmas Tree, Eggo, Popsicle, Big black, Mat green, Mat red, Flat Black, Holliman, green, pink, or purple Wooly Bugger

The Vedder River is slow to fair coho and chum.

The Harrison River is fair to good for chum, coho, rainbow, and cutthroat. For trout try: Rolled Muddler, Flesh fly, Hairs Ear, Anderson Stone, Eggo, Chez Nymph, Big Black, Black Stone Nymph, Micro Leach.

The Thompson River is good for steelhead. Try Popsicle, Polar Shrimp, Big Black, GP, Eggo, Purple Peril, Squamish Poacher, or Kaufmann Stone.