+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing Guide

Default Replacing Guide

I had a single foot guide come off of one my rods. The wraps are all still intact but the guide seems to have come loose (and gotten lost, I'm waiting on a replacement).

So, my question of course is do I have to remove the old wraps and redo them or is there some easier/quicker way to make the repair?

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

Often the 'quickest, easiest' way is the right way. Sometimes faster methods, no matter how logical they might seem, (for instance, getting nine ladies pregnant to have a child in one month) simply do not work. Enjoy replacing the guide.

Rick;
    I'd remove the old wraps and re-do them.
    What color are the wraps? I may have some spare thread.
    There is a wrap method for single foot guides in here somewhere that will keep them in place (and of course I've forgotten the name!!). You may want to replace them all with the more secure wrap.
    JC Where are you when I need you!!??

JC is correct. Remove the old thread and finish and replace it.
    Jack, I think the wrap you are talking about is the Forhan locking wrap. I do something similar, but don't use all 3 wraps around the leg. I think in most applications, a couple of additional wraps above the guide along with the finish that adds should be more than adequate to retain the guides on your rod.

I have a question pertaining to this.How do you remove the epoxy holding the guide on?

CAREFULLY, cut into the finish and the thread. If the guide is still on, make the cut on the guide foot so you won't risk cutting into the blank. You should be able to start unwinding the thread, taking the finish with it. The finish that is left should be able to be scraped off with a credit card or your thumbnail or something similar that won't scratch or cut the blank.

Thanks all for the replies. With a search I found the thread with a link to the Rod Building.org site and a description of the Forhan Locking wrap.

Jack - thread color is yellow. I have some rod building thread in my collection of stuff, but I haven't even looked at the colors yet. I'm still waiting for my local Orvis shop to call and tell me the guide is in.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

I have not personally done single foot guides but have read that after scraping (as already described) and cleaning the rod where the foot will be set, you use a small rubberband (child's braces bands) to temporarily secure the guide. Wrap up to the rubberband and the roll/cut the rubber band off. It's thin width and friction/ stickiness quality was the value in using rubberband. Hope it helps.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread