+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wader fit question

Hybrid View

Default Wader fit question

Cutting to the chase: does anyone have experience with both the Patagonia Guidewater and Rio Gallegos waders, in the same size? Has the fit changed from one model to the other or are the improvements in materials and technology only?

I got a pair of Patagonia Guidewater waders size med/reg from my dad who found them too large. I fished with them all year and found them very comfortable but have always thought they were just a touch too long in the leg. My inseam, crotch to floor like their sizing chart says, is 31". That same chart says the Med/Reg has an inseam of 32".

So last week I ordered a pair of Rio Gallegos waders in Med/Short which is listed in their size chart as having a 30" inseam. After trying them on today (they arrived this afternoon), these feel just a bit too short. I adjusted the suspenders and that helped a little but what I'm afraid of is I'll be high-stepping up some rocks or over a tree and the stretch will cause too much stress in the seat/crotch area.

My gut says I need the next size up in the new waders but its so close I'm not sure. I was rather looking forward to the reduced drag in the current with a better fit than the Guidewaters but now I'm not sure if it'll just be more of the same by sizing up.

Input/personal experience/opinion?? Thanks.

No experience with the waders you're looking at but I had the same issue with Simms - Mediums came up a bit short in length and no matter how much I adjusted the suspenders there was a bit of pull at the crotch when I lifted my legs. Tried the Medium King and, although they're a bit baggy (my drag coefficient was never that hot to begin with ), the length is good.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

size is in the body of the beholder: never mind what the maker calls long and short and wide and narrow--go with what you know is comfortable. drag in the water vs. binding when clambering is no contest in my book. go long and keep them for years. we all look so funny in our big rubber pants anyway...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    ...(my drag coefficient was never that hot to begin with )

Regards,
    Scott
    Gotta go with Scott on this one. I'd live with a bit baggy over too short but in my case a little bagginess is insignificant in terms of what's causing drag in the water!

According to the shop I trust with everything, Patagonia claims improved fit in the Rio Gallegos waders by reducing the amount of material in the area above the belt. That's not where I need improvement but I'm sure there were minor changes in design that results in a slightly different fit. Too bad there isn't a Patagonia custom shop where measurements can be provided and waders built for the specific user. Just to be sure, I tried on my older Guidewater waders this afternoon and I really don't have any room to complain. Yes, they are a bit baggy in the thigh and hip area but I cannot deny the freedom of movement in those versus what I felt in the short version of the Rio. Shipped back today and I anticipate seeing a new pair next week.

On another note, I ordered the River Salt jacket along with these waders and I am blown away with how awesome it is. I ordered a size smaller than I normally do for jackets again, based on Patagonia's size chart. Looks like I made the right decision as it fits great even with an R1 pullover on and the nano puff liner installed. The cuffs are fantastic and they don't ride up when I extend my arms overhead. This was my primary concern when choosing the size. Fantastic jacket though; love the fit, style, and pocket layout. It also feels bombproof without being crinkley and noisy.

+ Reply to Thread