According to the shop I trust with everything, Patagonia claims improved fit in the Rio Gallegos waders by reducing the amount of material in the area above the belt. That's not where I need improvement but I'm sure there were minor changes in design that results in a slightly different fit. Too bad there isn't a Patagonia custom shop where measurements can be provided and waders built for the specific user. Just to be sure, I tried on my older Guidewater waders this afternoon and I really don't have any room to complain. Yes, they are a bit baggy in the thigh and hip area but I cannot deny the freedom of movement in those versus what I felt in the short version of the Rio. Shipped back today and I anticipate seeing a new pair next week.

On another note, I ordered the River Salt jacket along with these waders and I am blown away with how awesome it is. I ordered a size smaller than I normally do for jackets again, based on Patagonia's size chart. Looks like I made the right decision as it fits great even with an R1 pullover on and the nano puff liner installed. The cuffs are fantastic and they don't ride up when I extend my arms overhead. This was my primary concern when choosing the size. Fantastic jacket though; love the fit, style, and pocket layout. It also feels bombproof without being crinkley and noisy.