+ Reply to Thread

Thread: winged wets

Hybrid View

Default winged wets

Those of you who get the TU magazine may have seen the Dave Whitlock (I think) article in the last issue singing the praises of the traditional winged wet, tied in the traditional method of matched mallard wings. I have Dave Hughes' book "Wet Flies", and he says this pattern is best tied with the softest possible wing, and even recommends not using matched wings at all, but instead to trim some hen hackle feathers and use as the wing. He says this gives the fly more movement, and attraction to the fish. He says the stiff wings on a traditional wet can also cause the fly to twist unnaturally in the water, deterring strikes. So, to me, his winged wets look basically like a soft hackle...

Since it is a snowy, slow day here, (6" and counting) I thought I would throw this out for your comment. What is your experience/opinion on the winged wet, and should I buy a pair of mallard wings to add to my collection??

Happy White Thanksgiving.....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I wonder how many of the really 'old timers' who fished the traditional wets would turn over in their graves after reading that opinion of Dave Hughes? On second thought, maybe the millions of trout taken with those flies would chime in too! Here's my theory on the 'fall from grace of the traditional wet fly'. But before I describe my opiniion, just remember that the wet fly was one of the key elements that all but decimated trout fishing here in the east. So here I go: The style, materials and best methods of use are just too involved for the typical fly tier or fisher. Simplicity in tying and instant gratification when fishing are the norms of today. Guys simply don't want to acquire the materials or learn the techniques needed to tie the traditional wet fly patterns. They don't want to learn the methods to use them either. So the options are simpler flies tied with less troublesome materials led by the support of writers, guides, mass marketers of flies, etc and the elimination of winged wet flies in the catalogs and on fly fishing web sites. Lastly, writers can't sit on their laurels otherwise they become irrelevant. So they need new theories, backed by some nebulous sense of logic or maybe a singular observation that evolves into a concept. The interesting thing is that trout can't talk. But sooner or later any fly will work and that incident will be the impetus of 'proving' some authors theory.
    Last edited by Allan; 11-26-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Not sure, off-hand, of the title of the somewhat recent thread where this was discussed, but many believe the winged wets were tied to represent a "drowned insect". Wets, sans wings, are tied to represent "pre-winged" insects - emergers.

While there may be a few "drowned insects" in the water column at times, I'm quite sure it is nothing compared to an emerging insect, struggling up through the water column.

When winged wets were introduced, fly fishers knew little about aquatic entomology.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-26-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Techniques change and evolve. The so-called virtues of the winged wets while documented, but they just did not hold up to the test of time. The assertion that the change is nothing more than fad driven is myopic at best. And the premise that they were discarded because they were too hard to tie is amusing, considering some of the patterns that exist today. I have no problem stacking the techniques and materials of a modern fly tier against those of the past. Sure there are a few folks who tie and fish these types of patterns still, but why a modern fly fisher would limited themselves to such a narrow technique and set of patterns is beyond me. Are you next going to argue we need to also go back to greenwood rod and horse hair leaders? After all, that is all they used to use and they caught lots of fish in days gone by.

With regards to the OP, if tying winged wets, I like using the original materials and while Wet Flies is one of my favorite books, I think Hughes was a bit off base on this assertion. Of course, you should come to your own conclusion, rather than worry about what the pundits say...those of the written word, and the electronic variety as well...

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    The so-called virtues of the winged wets while documented, but they just did not hold up to the test of time.
    Yes, actually they do. For some hatches, I can think of no more effective fly than a winged wet.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Sure there are a few folks who tie and fish these types of patterns still, but why a modern fly fisher would limited themselves to such a narrow technique and set of patterns is beyond me.
    Who said anything about limiting one's self? They're just one more arrow in the quiver. And why would you want to limit yourself to the most recent patterns that have no track record?

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    should I buy a pair of mallard wings to add to my collection??
    By all means. The wings are not only cheap, but are useful even if you never use the quills. The coverts on the leading edge make great soft hackles, and there are some there small enough to tie down to size 20.

As long as you've got the quills, tie some Leadwing Coachmans. If you ever fish an Iso hatch you'll be glad you did. (They're also a great general attractor pattern.) And some Wickham's Fancies. And Pale Evening Duns/Little Marryats. (Fish them as a top dropper during a sulfur hatch.)

If you want to challenge your skills, use some of blue epaulet feathers and tie some McGinties. You may never use them, but they're fun to tie. (They do catch fish once in a while, too.)

Duck/goose quills aren't the only source of wet fly wings. If you tie soft hackles, you may already have starling or partridge quills sitting in your tying materials. Both make excellent wet fly wings.

And beyond quill, don't forget about about wood duck flank. I'd be lost in the spring without Dark Hendrickson and Quill Gordon wets.

Enjoy. It may take a few tries to learn to properly set a quill wing, but once you learn, it isn't that hard.
    Bob

Thanks Bob, very good info-
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

You should get them, learn to tie with them, then fish the flies and decide for yourself whether winged-wets hold merit. I can't think of a much better use of time and effort.

Winged wets catch fish. But they are like any other fly style. Fish a #12 yellow and orange stimulator during the PMD hatch, and you'll come away thinking stimulators suck. You need to use the right fly for the job. Fish a #18 pale yellow bodied Wet with a grey mallard wing & sparse partridge collar.....and you'll do well on that same hatch.

Too often folks tie the most attractive Winged Wets, and wonder why they don't work. Maybe because a Parmachene Belle doesn't look anything like a #14 tan caddis? The problem is seldom the fly, it's usually the set of thumbs tying it to the tippet.

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread