First, I whole heartedly agree with Allan's comments on this.

Ralph:

Like tying wet fly's, you also have to learn about when to fish them.

Some people here on this forum knows I tye and fish wet flies exclusively. Wet fly tying is an art in it self but and learning to fish them is another. How many here on this board knows when to fish with a Telephone Box or a Blue Professor or maybe Thunder, Pink Lady, or a Hopatcong, Montreal or a Cupsuptic and so on.

I do and have written numerous articles for the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild that I was a part of and recently have just rejoined. I am one fly plate away from completing all the Wet flies listed in Bergman's book "Trout that I have tyed and have 50 patterns that I have fished with over the years that I know when to fish with and are repeatable meaning the time of year and water conditions and so on. I have spent a ton of times fishing and getting skunked to see when patterns would work or not. Then I would start making notes when a fly would work and would visit the next season again at the same time to see if the fly was again productive and repeatable in catching fish.

For beginners to catch fish on wet flies and enjoy them is to stick with patterns like Cahills, Hendricksons and so on. The fancy winged wet are killer patterns, but it comes down to knowing that they have a place and time of year when to fish with them just like the matching the hatch patterns do.

I can't say enough about wet flies and people like Allan knows I am infatuated with them and have been all the years that Allan has known me. Wet flies are fish takers for sure and I wish that Tyers would get back into using them. Tying them to me I relaxing and I always love to see them come to life in my vise. I find them to be works of art and some times makes me stop and stair how beautiful they are when I have completed tying one of those fancy patterns. No disrespect, but Dave Hugh's knows nothing about Classic winged wet flies or how to tye them. Dave knows about soft hackle wet flies which are another style of wet fly I have come to love as well.