Whenever I have been gifted a hide or fur pieces, I have always made the first wash and soak with a good quality PET shampoo that is as specific as possible for fleas. Second shampoo, soak and rinse is with Dawn dish soap. Rinse thoroughly at least 3 times. Air dry thoroughly and when dry, sprinkle very generously with Borax. Place into airtight Rubbermaid sealed container (isolation box) for about 3 months or longer. Remove from box and repeat all previously listed steps. Replace fur/feathers into clean isolation box and cover with moth balls.
Many years ago someone brought me the carcass of a red fox which I took to a taxidermist to be skinned. The taxidermist looked over the fox carcass and told me that the fox was diseased and had contracted mange and suggested that it be discarded. I often worry about gifted items and just how well the items have cleaned and properly prepared for handling by flytyers. I shudder to think how many folks handle furs and feathers and then touch themselves or put fingers in mouth. I am a board certified, licensed health professional dedicated to prevention and sometimes my methods may seem overkill but to me it has always been safer, healthier, smarter and less expensive to prevent problems than to resort to shortcuts that are counterproductive. Never have ascribed to the freezer/microwave methods. Just my 2 cents worth.
Gerri