+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IFFF Fly Tying Skills Awards Program

Hybrid View

Default IFFF Fly Tying Skills Awards Program

Have you heard about this one? The IFFF has introduced a 'Fly Tying Skills Awards Program'. It is a three level program, with Bronze, Silver, and Gold awards.

Basically, the fly tier submits 3 examples of a set of required and optional patterns to be judged for consistency, proportions, pattern accuracy, and other areas.

OK, I will admit it, I was skeptical. After all, I could care less about the certificate that you receive for achieving each level and I doubt if I would ever show it to anyone or even remember where I put it after receiving it.

But the more I think about this new program, the more I like it. And I think I will give it a shot and will try to find time over the holidays to tie up the flies.

After all, how many of us have ever actually sat down with an experienced fly tier and received a real critique of our tying skills? I do that often with my casting and it has helped my casting skills significantly. But I have never done that with my fly tying. So, why not take advantage of the opportunity?

When I first read the list of flies for the Bronze award, it sounded too easy. But on second thought, even if they are simple patterns, you have to tie 3 examples of each pattern that are identical to each other... That is not as easy as it sounds. AND you need to actually follow the real pattern and materials... I seldom if ever actually do that, I am always substituting or changing materials or colors. Successfully completing these patterns could be more challenging than it first appears to be. It also requires you demonstrate skills tying a variety of different fly patterns, including emergers, drys, wets, nymphs, and more.

They have only posted the requirements for the Bronze level and after thinking about these requirements, I think the Gold award will be very difficult to achieve.

Here are the details:

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Tying/F...dsProgram.aspx

The fly list for the Bronze award are the tie three examples of each of these patterns:
    - Grey Goose Emerger
    - Pheasant Tail Variant Dry Fly
    - Partridge and Orange Soft Hackle Wet Fly
    - Woolly Bugger
    - Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph
    - Plus three more patterns of the tiers choosing

Take a look at this program and see what you think. The more I?ve thought about it, the more I like it as a way to help improve my own fly tying skills. After all, how often do world class fly tiers offer to review your flies and offer suggestions to help you become a better fly tier?
    Last edited by RexW; 11-20-2014 at 02:28 PM.

To be eligible you need to be a member of the IFFF. This program is copied after the European for fly tying certification.

Agreed, but I've been a member for years. So, that's not an issue, and I like the organization.

Somewhere in the documentation, there is an acknowledgement of thanks to one of the European groups for allowing them to use their program as a model. I didn’t pay attention to which one. But, if they have a good program, why not use it?

Blog Entries

Rex,

I belong to the IFFF and I am also a member of the Fly Tying Group, have been member of FTG since they started a few years go.

They are very interested in helping people to learn how to tie flies, especially the youth of the world since we really need to bring in younger people to fly fishing.

Here is a statement they have on the FTG pages of the IFFF:

Larry ---sagefisher---
    ---------------------------
    Why an IFFF Fly Tying Skills Award Program?

The IFFF Fly Tying Group exists to promote and encourage the art of fly tying. We take 'promoting' to have a two-fold meaning: inspiring more people to take an interest in our craft and helping them to become more knowledgeable and accomplished tiers. The Fly Tying Group is dedicated to the preservation, enhancement and support of the art of fly tying.

For individuals to improve as tiers, they need to be able to measure their progress. The IFFF Fly Tying Skills Awards Program provides IFFF members with the opportunity to develop or reinforce their fly tying skills and test their progress against a consistent, standard at three levels: Bronze, Silver and Gold.

The goal of the Awards Program is to encourage IFFF members to develop and improve their fly tying skills at their own pace through a structured learning plan with progressive goals. The Program is meant to be informative, enjoyable and encourage camaraderie and co-operation amongst those taking part. In addition, it can also assist Clubs and instructors in the planning and delivering of fly tying courses.

Participation is entirely voluntary. No IFFF member or Club is under any obligation to take part.
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Larry, that is what has me interested, the program seems like a way to learn more and become a better fly tyer.

+ Reply to Thread