Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; Nov 17 to 24, 2014

One afternoon, some years ago, I was in the Big Horn Caf?, having coffee with the, then, fish master of Spences Bridge, Paul LaPoint. Paul was regaling me with some of his exploits with his favorite dry fly, the Tom-Tum (I know the proper name is Tom Thumb, but Paul has his own pronunciation for many things), when a booming voice from across the room, silenced the caf?.

?Hey preacher; I have a break in my schedule tomorrow morning and it?s time I took you fishing in return for that fly pole you made.?

The words were coming from Swede Peterson; owner operator of Annie Horge River Expeditions, as he made his way to our booth. I had made, and given, Swede a cane rod a year earlier, as thanks for the many white water trips he taken my wife and daughters on. He had often offered me free white water trips too, but as one who does not like roller coasters or anything that resembled them, I had always declined. This time, with the prospect of fishing water I had no access to, I agreed.

?Well preacher, I just knew there was some way to get you off the bank and into one of my dories boats,? piped Swede with a smile. ?We?ll take Oden; I just redid the chines on her. I?m on my way up to the trailer; meet me up there. I got some hot flies from the boys up in Savona, and if you could tie us up eight or twelve, we?ll be in business.?

?I?ll see you there in a few,? I answered as I finished my coffee.

Up at Swede?s trailer, I was handed the first Kaufmann Stonefly Nymphs I had ever seen. Little did I know that after using this fly pattern, I would be a fan for life.

?Can you tie us up a mess of those,? asked Swede?

?Sure can,? I answered.

?Good; I?m heading out again,? said Swede. ?I gotta evening run out of Steelhead, and won?t be back until well after dark. Meet me in front the restaurant at 5:00 AM.?

?Done,? I answered, and headed for our cabin, to tie up a dozen flies. Tomorrow would be interesting.

We will finish this story next week.

The Report

Many of our lower mainland lakes are iced over, but should be clear by the weekend.

The Fraser River is fair to good for spring, coho, and chum. For spring try: Popsicle, Big Black, GP, Squamish Poacher, Eggo, Flat Black, Mat Red, or Kaufmann Stone. For coho try: Coho blue, Rolled Muddler, Eggo, Christmas Tree, Bite Me, or olive Wooly Bugger. For chum try: Christmas Tree, Eggo, Popsicle, Big black, Mat green, Mat red, Holliman, green, pink, or purple Wooly Bugger

The Vedder River is fair coho and chum.

The Harrison River is fair to good for chum, spring, coho, rainbow, and cutthroat. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Hairs Ear, Elk Hair Caddis, Anderson Stone, Eggo, Golden Stone, Adams, or Irresistible.

The Thompson River is good for steelhead. Try Popsicle, Polar Shrimp, Big Black, GP, Eggo, Purple Peril, Squamish Poacher, or Kaufmann Stone.