+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SPEY CASTING - A HOW TO - Readers Cast (Randy Kadish) - Nov 17, 2014

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default SPEY CASTING - A HOW TO - Readers Cast (Randy Kadish) - Nov 17, 2014

SPEY CASTING - A HOW TO
    Perhaps you're in the same fly casting bind I was in. You often don't have enough room to make back casts, and at your age casting a 7-weight fly rod for three or four hours leaves you exhausted and sore. Spey casting, you read, will save you a lot of energy and ibuprofen.
    So, you wonder, should you delve into your pockets and shell out the big bucks for a spey rod and line?
    Eventually, I did, and then I immersed myself in spey casting articles and DVDs, until I felt ready to give spey casting a go.
    I headed to my local park, and plunged in?right into an incoming disaster.

Very nice, concise summary. It took me a lot of time and effort to piece together the same information using multiple sources when I started learning about 2 handed rods (I'm still learning).

You did a good job summarizing a confusing topic.

Blog Entries

Quite timely. I just got an email from Winston Rods about their new light "Microspey Rods". These rods are in the 3,4,5 weight range and for use on streams which require really long casts to reach the seams holding the trout.

They really look nice.

Here is a short video about them.

http://assets.winstonrods.com/winsto...m_medium=email

I appreciate the post. I've often wondered what the difference was between the different types of spey lines. The marketing material just doesn't seem to explain it clearly enough to differentiate.

I've been practicing single-handed spey with my regular trout rod for several years now, and I can empathize with your frustration. Although I can cast small floating flies fairly well this way, large sinking flies are still nearly impossible. Maybe I'm just asking too much of my equipment.
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

+ Reply to Thread