+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CHANGE IS COMING - Editorial - Nov 17,2014

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default CHANGE IS COMING - Editorial - Nov 17,2014

CHANGE IS COMING
    Seventeen years ago this last September Deanna and Jim Birkholm, aka The Ladyfisher and James Castwell began a radical new venture; an online magazine dedicated to fly fishing. They were endeavoring to supplement their retirement income through selling advertising space and initially that was successful.

From a user and not a contributor. Thank you for the quality site that you have provided. During the years that I have "used" this board, I have enjoyed the articles and insight that I have received. I just want to make my voice heard that all of your blood, sweat and tears are appreciated.
    THANK YOU one and all.
    Dick xfishcop

I, also, share xfishcop's feelings towards FAOL. I really do not know what I would do without my "daily fix" of viewing FAOL. I cannot imagine how much time is needed to maintain this site, but, I do appreciate it very much. I will support whatever changes need to be made to keep FAOL going. There is just too much knowledge in the archives to lose it all.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

This will probably not be well-received by many, BUT.......

I, for one, would gladly "purchase" an annual "subscription" for $10 or so to help defray some of the cash expenses of the site. To encourage new members, visitors could sign in a certain number of times before having to subscribe...

Maybe also a token "listing fee" for listing items in the "For Sale" forum?

Just my initial thoughts to maintain a great site,
    Byron
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-16-2014 at 09:33 PM.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I second the motion. $10..00 per year would be a bargain for what I get from FAOL. I spend more than that on some other sites (not fishing) per month, and they are not anywhere near as good as FAOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    This will probably not be well-received by many, BUT.......

I, for one, would gladly "purchase" an annual "subscription" for $10 or so to help defray some of the cash expenses of the site. To encourage new members, visitors could sign in a certain number of times before having to subscribe...

Maybe also a token "listing fee" for listing items in the "For Sale" forum?

Just my initial thoughts to maintain a great site,
    Byron

I hate to say this but I did not know there were articles. When I come to the site I go straight to the forum, my bad, I guess.

I'll go with Byron. An annual subscription would be great.
    It might even discourage those few who infrequently seek to annoy others.
    It may sound trivial but at my age FAOL is very important to me.

Blog Entries

Ray,
    I guess I didn't know about becoming "A Friend of FAOL". The link is on the home page.
    I asked the Admin. To put a paypal option there and as soon as that happens, I will donate $25 to become a friend.
    Unfortunately, currently out of bank checks, so need PayPal.
    Hope others become "Friends" as well.

Blog Entries

Wow...
    You would think that someone was beating our favorite puppy

The written word with such short space to put it in lacks much when compared to the face to face communication. Keep that in mind.

Marco ... Good points. And a lot of them are even spot on.

Neil stated this is not going to change to a pay to play site, and frankly that model wouldn't work anyway.

We are working on some things to keep the lights blazing. But frankly, the BEST thing that you all can do is to be more active. Money is nice, but donations are a stop gap solution at best, and don't solve the problems. What is needed is people willing to step up and contribute.

Write something. Send it in. Promote the site to others. Really. It's that simple. The fly fishing sport needs fresh blood. FAOL articles are quite extensive and helpful for the newbie.

Want to save your favorite haunt? Share it with others. It's really that simple.. Share and contribute.
    If readership goes up, advertising dollars will eventually follow, and others will contribute. No one wants to advertise or contribute to a site that only a few old timers still use.

In the meantime we have some things to try. FAOL is NOT in danger of closing anytime soon. But in the spirit of what FAOL has always stood for, Neil was letting you all know changes were coming, and why.

I recommend turning on your favorite music, pouring a tall glass of your favorite poison (egg nog for me), and dust off some of them old gray cells, and think how you can contribute.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

If I can help in any way, just say the word. I am a professional freelance writer, and I write for several fishing magazines and blogs. Anytime you need articles, just let me know what you need, and how long they need to be. I can submit them in any format you need, including .pdf, and html.

Quote Originally Posted by rtidd View Post
    CHANGE IS COMING
    Seventeen years ago this last September Deanna and Jim Birkholm, aka The Ladyfisher and James Castwell began a radical new venture; an online magazine dedicated to fly fishing. They were endeavoring to supplement their retirement income through selling advertising space and initially that was successful.

+ Reply to Thread