+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tip top removal

Default Tip top removal

Hi all,
    As the winter rod rebuilding season starts, I would like to remove an old tip top from a rod and replace it. Now, how do I accomplish this?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Hi Mike,

It's really easy to do.
    Here is how I do it:

Put a rubber band through the tip top. Pass the rubber band through itself to make a lark's head knot.
    Cinch the larks head tight to the tip top. Secure the other end of the rubber band to something....slip it over a peg or bolt sticking out of something.
    Slightly pull on the rod piece to stretch the rubber band.
    Use a lighter to heat the tip top. Keep the flame away from the blank, only heat the tip top.
    Dont put the flame directly under the tip top. The soot will turn the tip top black.
    Keep the flame to the side of the tip top and rotate the rod piece to evenly heat the tip top.
    When the glue melts, the tension of the rubber band will pull the tip top off of the blank.
    Scrape off the remaining glue from the blank.

Brian

Hi Brian,
    COOOL!!! I had some kind of similar thought but before I went and screwed up I wanted to get ideas. I was thinking of the heat the tip but I really like the suspend the rod with the rubber band. I have a rod I will do a test run on then the next in line for repair and finally the one I want to get really good!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Mike ... you do realize why Brian suggested the rubberband? There are those about, who shall remain nameless, who found out if you grab hold of the aforementioned heated tiptop, with your bare fingers ... it'll burn like a ...ummm, it's really, really hot!! If you need three or more hands to hold the rod (so it doesn't drop from whatever height you have it suspended), heat the tip top, pull on the rubberband so it doesn't burn through (the lighter does produce flame) ... try using a pair of needle-nose pliers to lift off the heated (it only takes seconds) tiptop while the rod lays across a flat table top.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hi Betty,
    Thanks - I did a similar procedure to remove the male ferrule from a rod a friend of mine had gotten stuck in the female end. After I got it out, by gently heating the outside spinning, I did indeed use needle nose to yank the ferrule out. After I readjusted the ferrule, it had taken a beating as he tried to just pull it out, a little sanding of the blank and my 50 year old stick of rod ferrule cement it is on. I did tell my friend that if it happened again, just give me the rod immediately and save me time! Thanks for the tip I have been know to ignore the obvious before!
    Mike

I don't suspend the rod, I keep it horizontal. It makes heating the tip top easier.

And yeah......I've burned my fingers a few times on freshly heated tip top.

Brian

An update - the tip top has been successfully removed! I altered the rubber band tension device a little. I found a large snap swivel and threaded the rubber band through the open ring end and fed it into itself securing it. I then "clipped" the other end on to the tip top. Made the rubber band safe from heat and the rod tip spins nicely. I hooked the rubber band over the end of the bench vise handle, spun the tip through the lighter flame about 4 times and the tip came right off. This device will be saved for future uses. Now, I was looking at the old guides I had carefully rewrapped, got that down, looked at the old tip top and I think i might just take all the old guides, new guides, new top and instead of black wrapping, maybe red. Thanks to you all this old rod will be ready spring!
    Mike

Good job!

I usually use a loop of wire or a paper clip on the tip top with the rubber band connected to it.
    But I didn't want to make the explanation of the process too confusing.

It sounds like you've got a great project all lined up for the upcoming cold season!

Post some pictures of the process along the way.

Brian

Why do you newbies insist on making such a simple task a major project? We are not launching the space shuttle, we are removing a tip top. Grab a pair of pliers and have at it!

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    Why do you newbies insist on making such a simple task a major project? We are not launching the space shuttle, we are removing a tip top. Grab a pair of pliers and have at it!

Brad
    Or you can just clumsily break it off as I just did with my 8' Heddon Featherweight!!!! Aaargh!!!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

+ Reply to Thread