+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fiberglass

I have over 10 right now, from a 5'2" 5wt fenwick to a 9'6" harnell with a 6" extended butt for salt water.and everything in between. looking for a spey rod next. I still have my first fly rod a 7'6" bright red 5 wt from grants dept store.
    Last edited by sandfly; 11-27-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

I fished fiberglass in the 70's and then 15 years ago I earned an Orvis 5wt SF rod with spin reel & fly reel. Thought it was the greatest until 2 yeas ago I compared them; no comparison for me (IMHO).
    The Glass was/is superior. I will tell you this; if you are cast hard with glass you are over casting. MOST glass is slow so you get that wonderful rhythmic feel like watching fly casting in slow motion.
    Don't try to cast it like graphite; it's different. Slow down a lawn cast first and feel it; great for reach casting to DROP a fly like a parachutist coming in for a landing.
    I now have 5 glass rods and 5 graphite's are for sale.

Got some glass rods. Got some grass rods. Got many graphite rods. We DO like them ALL. If we are doing an albacore trip, the old Fenwick 9' 10wt HAS to be along, especially if a newbie is aboard. Way too easy breaking graphite while "high-sticking" and the glass rod withstands ALL of that abuse. Grass take way too much care for me. I seldom use those rods since putting a permanent bend in one on a large cutthroat at L. Lenore. Graphite just seems to be the tool that gets the most call around here.
    .....lee s.

Quote Originally Posted by lee s View Post
    If we are doing an albacore trip, the old Fenwick 9' 10wt HAS to be along, especially if a newbie is aboard. Way too easy breaking graphite while "high-sticking" and the glass rod withstands ALL of that abuse
    I have an 8' Garcia 9/10wt that's just about perfect for my saltwater kayak fishing.
    It's not a distance caster, but it excels at landing powerful fish up close.
    Best 10 bucks I ever spent
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread