Older fiberglass, Fenwick, Conolon, etc are very nice to cast. Just my opinion, the newer glass rods can approach the performance of graphite. As far as being suited to only smaller waters, I believe that flyfishers that fished big waters out west in the thirties, forties and fifties with their bamboo and glass rods did Ok. Of course, I suppose if they had graphite back then, it would have been their preferred rod. I think that the popularity of rods such as the Redington CT's and Orvis Super fines, are because of the smoother feel that people discover as a nice departure from the fast tip rods that are so popular in graphite. They would find that, that smooth feel has always been around in glass and bamboo rods. For myself, the feedback that I get from bamboo and glass have improved my casting with graphite. Lotech, I hope you find some the heavier weight Fenwicks that are out there and try them for saltwater and also your steelhead.
Look on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...mC2hV5Y9M&NR=1 for an interview with Russell Chatham, he will make you a believer in Fenwicks.