+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass

I find that on smaller waters, like the majority of trout streams streams in the Northeast, glass can really excel. I just see very little need for a hyper-fast rod. I would also say that out west, where larger waters and more winds are the norm, they lack in effectiveness. It's a matter of using the right tool for the job.

If you search hard enough, there are blanks out there for under $30 that are getting some fairly good reviews...

As for me, the glass rod I built is one of my favorites!!!

If you talk about original fiberglass, I love my old (late 1940 s) Shakespeare Howald white glass with red glass wraps,
    I'm holding out for their becoming real antiques.

Older fiberglass, Fenwick, Conolon, etc are very nice to cast. Just my opinion, the newer glass rods can approach the performance of graphite. As far as being suited to only smaller waters, I believe that flyfishers that fished big waters out west in the thirties, forties and fifties with their bamboo and glass rods did Ok. Of course, I suppose if they had graphite back then, it would have been their preferred rod. I think that the popularity of rods such as the Redington CT's and Orvis Super fines, are because of the smoother feel that people discover as a nice departure from the fast tip rods that are so popular in graphite. They would find that, that smooth feel has always been around in glass and bamboo rods. For myself, the feedback that I get from bamboo and glass have improved my casting with graphite. Lotech, I hope you find some the heavier weight Fenwicks that are out there and try them for saltwater and also your steelhead.
    Look on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...mC2hV5Y9M&NR=1 for an interview with Russell Chatham, he will make you a believer in Fenwicks.

Bunch of junk. I don't know why people use em, Joe....
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Way back when, I started with an old rump sprung Wright & McGill bamboo and left shortly after to do my military service and I just gave the rod away (think I paid five bucks for it). When I returned from the service I bought a brand spanking new 8' True Temper fiberglass rod, and this rod is what I cut my eye teeth on learning how to really use a fly rod. Still have the rod and I get him out ever now and again. The rod would be equivalent to today's 6wt action. Love the rod and I guess you'd say the action is SLOW, but I can still roll a dry fly out picture perfect with it. This was the late 50's, and a little later on, an old timer I had fished with was giving up the art because of leg problems, and so I bought one of his fiberglass rods, another 8' True Temper (called an "Aristocrat") but much heavier and I'd guess it to be around a 7/8wt - used it for steelhead, using streamers. I was to move later on into graphite and this has been my present main stay. Not too far back my Dad passed away and I got his 8' fiberglass Shakespeare "Wonder Rod" - think he bought that back in the early 50's - and it still fishes good!

I still use the Lamiglass 4wt that my father built for me in 1972.
    I had a blue Conolon beforehand but the Lamiglass was at a whole different level from what I was used to.
    When graphite came along, I had no urge to switch, at least for my trout fishing.

At this point, I have a small collection of vintage glass rods from Phillipson, Fenwick, W&M, Garcia, Cortland (St Croix), Bean's (H-I), Orvis, Heddon, Berkley... and Lamiglass
    I'll use a graphite rod if conditions call for it, but I like my glass rods most of the time.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

For me, even more so than the casting stroke.....setting the hook with glass has a feel unlike any graphite rod made. I prefer it.

Blog Entries

I started with a bamboo rod, then made my own fiberglass rod back in the dark ages, then along came graphite and I easily transitioned to that and stuck with it but for one Steve Pennington bamboo fly rod. I personally prefer graphite over fiberglass. And, that is what is great about our society, we can choose what we want.

Larry ---sagefisher---

This was posted about 4 years ago. I have one of those cheap rods and I really like it for small trout streams.

TColor isn't my favorite. Chartreuse. But...nice fiberglass blank. I think 7'-8" THREE PIECE 5 wt. Don't quote me as going by memory but under $7 each. I think it was $6.66 apiece. I happen to prefer three piece anyway....and three piece blanks getting harder to come by.

Anywhooo....these might make excellent rods....and if not.....certainly economical enough to learn how to mount reel seats, grips, winding checks, guides, tip tops. Heck, try to buy two arrows for less than that!

Just fyi for anyone wanting to give it a go and not spend a bunch of dollars to get to play with rod building.

oh....ebay...search for fiberglass rodsim

+ Reply to Thread