+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7wt for Bass

Default 7wt for Bass

I fish for bass currently with a mid-flex 6wt and a cold water clouser line that throws somewhat heavy flies ok. I'm thinking about bumping up to a 7wt but want a fast action rod this time. Been looking at the Echo rods and the TFO rods (the Bob Clouser rods). Any advise on 7wt rods for bass?

Can't speak for the 7wt Echo...I have an 8wt Echo Ion...and it is a VERY fast action (stiff) rod.
    I love the TFO BVK series of rods, and caught a lot of nice bass on my 6wt this year. I bought the 7wt....but got it too late in the season to really try it out. Its all lined up, but I haven't cast it yet.
    Sorry...that doesn't help much...but if that 7wt BVK is anything like the 5wt and 6wt...it'll be a GREAT rod!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Can't speak for the 7wt Echo...I have an 8wt Echo Ion...and it is a VERY fast action (stiff) rod.
    I love the TFO BVK series of rods, and caught a lot of nice bass on my 6wt this year. I bought the 7wt....but got it too late in the season to really try it out. Its all lined up, but I haven't cast it yet.
    Sorry...that doesn't help much...but if that 7wt BVK is anything like the 5wt and 6wt...it'll be a GREAT rod!
    I would be interested in your impressions when you get a chance to use the 7wt. I have a BVK 6wt I use now for smallmouth, but I am thinking of getting a 7wt also. I throw a lot of size 4 poppers and large streamers and I think the 7wt may be a good choice.

I have cast the clouser rod, it is a nice rod, medium action compared to the BVK, much heaver rod.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Nice. I'll look into the BVK. Maybe someone locally has one I can cast before buying. I don't travel much so finding one will be tough. Thanks.

Since the description "fast action" is such a relative term, it can be difficult to equate different makes and models of rods unless you have them side by side for comparison. That said, one of the best 7wt "fast" action rods I've used is the old Sage RPLXI. It's not a broomstick like some of the models out there, but it has the backbone to really pus a fly out into the wind. It you want a faster rod, go to the RPLX model. Since both of these models were made for saltwater fishing, the hardware is a bit more resistant to corrosion. I prefer a little slower action rod, so I use a 7wt Sage RPL for my LM bass fishing and it has never failed me. You can usually find either of these models in good used condition for around $200-$250. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

I have two brand new from England 9' 5 pc fly rods in tubes with socks. One is labeled 6/7 and one is labeled 7/9. Should make good bass rods. The rod sections are 22 13/165 long or call it 3/4 I think. And the rod tubes are 25' total length closed. Beautiful deep maroon or garnet color? I actually bought them from a dealer in England and had them shipped here. I will be selling them soon. So this is just an fyi. Oh....the thing is I have not tested them but the seem to be very fast stiff rods to me. Jim

I can not comment on the Echo rods, but I am familiar with the TFO rods and I have several 7 wt's and I use them often. Have you cast a 7 wt TFO Clouser yet? I like the TFO Clousers. They are nice rods and I like the way they cast. The TFO BVK has a faster action and is much lighter than the Clouser. I think the 7 wt BVK is one of the best casting rods in the BVK series.

The TFO Mangrove is a newer rod from TFO and I have been very impressed the 7 wt in this series. I really like casting the 7 wt Mangrove. I'd say that it's action is somewhere between the Clouser and the BVK rods. My experience at shows and events with the Mangrove has been that many people like the Mangrove action better and it seems to be a crowd favorite. You might want to test cast a TFO Mangrove rod if you get a chance.

If you are looking for a really fast rod, the TFO Axiom is a fun rod. I regularly fish a 6 wt Axiom for bass and often have a 7 wt line on it, and I also fish and teach with a 7 wt Axiom. I like the Axiom rods a lot, but I've found that many casters prefer the actions of the Clouser, BVK, and Mangrove rods.

With all that said, I'm a casting instructor on TFO's pro staff, so obviously I do not have an unbiased opinion.

If at all possible, cast the rods that you are interested in, and then pick the one that you are most comfortable casting. Have fun looking!
    Last edited by RexW; 11-18-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RexW View Post
    I can not comment on the Echo rods, but I am familiar with the TFO rods and I have several 7 wt's and I use them often. Have you cast a 7 wt TFO Clouser yet? I like the TFO Clousers. They are nice rods and I like the way they cast. The TFO BVK has a faster action and is much lighter than the Clouser. I think the 7 wt BVK is one of the best casting rods in the BVK series.

The TFO Mangrove is a newer rod from TFO and I have been very impressed the 7 wt in this series. I really like casting the 7 wt Mangrove. I'd say that it's action is somewhere between the Clouser and the BVK rods. My experience at shows and events with the Mangrove has been that many people like the Mangrove action better and it seems to be a crowd favorite. You might want to test cast a TFO Mangrove rod if you get a chance.

If you are looking for a really fast rod, the TFO Axiom is a fun rod. I regularly fish a 6 wt Axiom for bass and often have a 7 wt line on it, and I also fish and teach with a 7 wt Axiom. I like the Axiom rods a lot, but I've found that many casters prefer the actions of the Clouser, BVK, and Mangrove rods.

With all that said, I'm a casting instructor on TFO's pro staff, so obviously I do not have an unbiased opinion.

If at all possible, cast the rods that you are interested in, and then pick the one that you are most comfortable casting. Have fun looking!
    Since you are on TFO's staff, may I ask you a question? One of my local fly shops stopped carrying the BVK in the larger (>7) weights, and is recommending the mangrove instead. They said this was due to breakage issues. I havent had any problems, but the comment was made "a client lost the fish of a lifetime when the rod broke". I think you really cant have a really light rod and a super durable rod at the same time, you kinda have to pick your poison. What is your take on this? If I am putting you on the spot, feel free to disregard - thanks
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

A month or so ago, my fishing club had a Cast and Compare outing where we had fly shops and rod company manufacturer's reps provide us with rods, reels and lines to test cast both on river and on the land. I had the chance to cast several seven weights, including the Sage One, the Sage Accel (a new model for Sage), an Orvis Helios and an Orvis Recon (also a new model). Of those rods, I liked the Sage One the best, but that rod is priced beyond my budget. The rod that stood out of all of these rods as the best value was the Orvis Recon. It was light and responsive and just felt good to cast. It is definitely not a super stiff rod like the Temple Fork Axiom. The Recon is more money than any of the Temple Fork rods at approximately $450 but in my opinion it is a really good rod for the money. You might also be able to find an Orvis Access rod on closeout for a good price.

Whatever seven weight that you end up buying, try to test cast the rod with some different 7 weight lines and with an eight weigh line to determine what line feels best with a particular rod.

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    Since you are on TFO's staff, may I ask you a question? One of my local fly shops stopped carrying the BVK in the larger (>7) weights, and is recommending the mangrove instead. They said this was due to breakage issues. I havent had any problems, but the comment was made "a client lost the fish of a lifetime when the rod broke". I think you really cant have a really light rod and a super durable rod at the same time, you kinda have to pick your poison. What is your take on this? If I am putting you on the spot, feel free to disregard - thanks
    Pillcaster, as mentioned, I'm just a casting instructor and all I can offer is my own opinion. I can't speak for TFO and I don't have access to the repair data for either rod.

Here's my opinion. The BVK and the Mangrove had different design goals. The BVK is more of a high performance design, with an emphasis on weight reduction. The primary designer for the Mangrove was Flip Parrott and his goal was to design a rod that as a guide he would like to keep on the boat for clients to use. From what I've seen, people over a wide range of casting skills just seem to like the way the Mangrove "feels" and casts. It is a popular rod.

One difference in the two rods is the thickness of the graphite walls of the rod and the thickness of the TiCr coating that TFO uses to help protect the rods from damage. Increasing the thickness of these two elements increases the durability of a rod and will help it survive being hit by a fly or other damage, but it adds weight.

I have an 8 wt BVK that I use as a Striped bass rod and I've had no problems with it and have caught some nice fish on it. Personally, the BVK would probably not be my choice for a beginner's first rod, but I do know another instructor that uses a set of BVK's for his beginning casting classes and the only one that I am aware that has broken was stepped on in a parking lot. Students rods receive a lot of abuse and I've been impressed with how well those BVK rods have performed.

So, yes, the Mangrove is designed to be a more durable rod, but I don't think there is any problem with the BVK's durability. The BVK has been on the market for several years now and if there was a serious problem with them, I don't think they would still be on the market.

Anyway, there are my thoughts and opinions on the rods. They both great rods, but they are different and the best choice for you depends on how you plan to use the rod.

+ Reply to Thread