+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterans Day

Default Veterans Day

In honor of all Veterans.

Twelve members of the McGarthwaite Clan have serve in combat for the the United States Military from WWII to the present day. My father (Jerome B. McGarthwaite served in General Patton's 3rd Army as a 2nd Lt., retiring in 1974 as a Lt Col. Many members of our Scotish Clan still serve in the U.S. Military.

Sargent First Class (SFC) Steven Henry McGarthwaite (retired)

Note: Al Campbell served as a Major in the U.S. Air Force, and was my mentor in fly tying and building my own fly rods...
    The last time we met was at the October Caddis Hatch on the Locha/Selway streams in Idaho!
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 11-11-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Last summer I was fishing a reservoir in California. I stopped for a rest and while I was approached by a warden of the Cal fish & game. He asked to check my license and then we yak for a few minutes and he asked what I did for a living and I responded that I was retired from the Army. The warden took ahold of my shoulders and gave me one great bear hug and a appreciation for my military. His gesture and our conversation made my day.

Please remember that a lot of those who didn't serve in the military deserve a thanks for their support of those who did.

Tim
    Last edited by Panman; 11-11-2014 at 03:31 PM.

I hear that,Just ask my wife.

We did a weekend fishing staying at the Buck Hall NFS campground (Francis Marion Nat'l Forest). Low and behold, paid for the Saturday night stay but come Sunday - and because I was a veteran - no charge! What a pleasant surprise!

When this thread was started I was down in Louisiana with my mom of 89 years age. While there I discovered my dad's ribbons from WWII in a plastic bag stuck back in a drawer. I brought them home with me (I am the only member of the family with an interest in things military). I am going to research what each one is, there are a couple with dual oak leaves on them and make a frame from some Mississippi cypress barn wood and mount them in my office. I wish I had the medals that accompanied them.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Uncle Jesse,I believe the medals are still available.I hope your research becomes a great experience for you.I know your father will be honored.Ray

I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Uncle Jesse I would recommend that you take your treasures to the Veterans of the Foreign Wars. I would bet the members there could ID the awards and assist you in finding the actual metals. There is quite a few medals on Ebay. Good luck.

Tim - Life Member of the VFW.

Families of those who have served in the U.S. Military can contact the U.S. Military Branch that their family members did their military duty, and receive a copy of their military Personal File, and ask to have all their medals replaced.

Sargent First Class Steven H. McGarthwaite
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread