+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uses for lambs wool ?

Question Uses for lambs wool ?

I have been given a fully tanned white lamb skin. How should I prepare It for use? Should It be cut Into pieces first or sheared first? If I shear it should it be blended before or after dying? What are best uses?
    I intend to distribute the results to the guys in my fly tying club. All thoughts are welcome.

Sculpin heads

If you are going to hand out the wool, why not ask the recipients how they want it. I would let them handle the dying and processing.
    It can be used for sculpins, dubbing, twisted into a yarn for bodies and wings, tails, etc... There are many uses for wool. It is a reasonably durable material that is versatile.

Ed

Ditto on the woolhead sculpins. I purchased my wool in clean, tanned and processed patches from a flyshop and find that the easiest to store. However, one spring while visiting our cabin, I went to the Southern States store to make a purchase. While there, the local farmers were bringing in the freshly sheared wool from their sheep herds. While the stuff was bundled up pretty well, there were numerous loose clumps being wind blown over the parking lot. I was given permission to gather those clumps of loose wool and so I brought them home to be washed, combed and sorted out by color. Those I store in small plastic bags with a moth ball or two and just pull out whatever amount I need when tying. The colors are natural and range from cream to dark browns and blacks and I have found that cutting the wool into small pieces, allows me to add some coarseness to my dubbings. Hope this helps.

Up until some years ago I was always under the impression that wool should only be used for wets, nymphs and subsurface flies. Then, an excellent fly tier some/many of you know, Royce Dam, showed me that and how he usually used lambs wool for dubbing dry fly bodies. Of course his dubbing technique was so perfect that the bodies on his dry flies were mere whisks of impression/imitation. Anyway, back to the question: I'd cut the skin into 2 x 2" pieces and give them out. If anyone wants to dye a piece just suggest they use a cold bath or ladies hair dye. Those methods will keep the skin soft.

Allan

Thanks for the replies and suggestions you guys. Now that I can actually see how fine and "crinkly" the hair is I'm wondering why it isn't suggested for more recipes. Once combed out the fiber strands are nice and long to ease dubbing while the "crinkly" aspect makes for very fuzzy results if I use a dubbing loop.

Royce Dam is still one of the greatest tyers of all time... If you ever had the chance to watch him tie at FFF conclaves and EXPO's consider yourself a luck guy!
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin47 View Post
    Royce Dam is still one of the greatest tyers of all time... If you ever had the chance to watch him tie at FFF conclaves and EXPO's consider yourself a luck guy!
    Agree. Among his arsenal of excellent techniques, I was always amazed at how he tied his parachutes. Even after an hour sitting with him during 2 shows, at which we talked and he showed me his method for tying that style of fly (specifically the hackle), I could not grasp how he did it.

Example of Royce Dam Flies from the Commemorative Stamp Series

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Personally I love lambs wool for making patches for my vest as well as for making scuds, It also makes a great wing.

+ Reply to Thread